Is SLI worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the deal I don't understand. If you buy a 7900GT, it'll handle any game you can throw at it. Why buy 2? Later down the road, you'll be sitting there wondering if you want to pair up your old 7900GT or upgrade to a new single uber-card.

Ryan

True, but some people just want the best now or they want to get SLI so there cards will last longer. But to do it at this time I guess is kind of dumb with dx10 around the corner.

Something is always around the corner. I see no reason to ever buy anything on the bleeding edge. It's unnecessary and inefficient.

Ryan

Yea but this isn't just something. This is the next big thing. I mean get a good second gen dx10 card and you could be set for a couple years.

you know before i read this i thought i knew it all. but now im confused. will 7900gt/x support dx10? and the 7800gt/x doesnt? how will the 7800gt perform in the near future? will it still be capable of playing games? also if i sli my 7800gt will it outperform better than a 7900gt/x?

sorry if i hijacked it or not, i thought maybe since i got lost someone else did too, and this owuld save them time for asking the same thing i did

SLI is really only for playing games on multiple monitors or extremely large resolutions. Otherwise, a powerful single card is much more effective at getting the job done.

æArchOAngelæ said:
you know before i read this i thought i knew it all. but now im confused. will 7900gt/x support dx10? and the 7800gt/x doesnt? how will the 7800gt perform in the near future? will it still be capable of playing games? also if i sli my 7800gt will it outperform better than a 7900gt/x?

sorry if i hijacked it or not, i thought maybe since i got lost someone else did too, and this owuld save them time for asking the same thing i did

Well first off the 7900 gt/x does not support dx10. No cards support dx10. The first card to support dx10 will be the g80 which will come out anywhere from June to November.

7800gt will still be good in the near future but SLI 7800 GT's is dumb since you can get a 7900 gt for the same price or less.

I am unsure on one thing. You cannot use one of the new PPU with an SLI setup? I thought you would be able to have SLI and then just add the PPU once they shipped to a free pci slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom