LCD ignorant

Status
Not open for further replies.
How exactly does contrast ratio work. What is it, and how is it measured? I want to know if it's something I'm actually worried about.

Ryan

Whatever you do, do not get this monitor.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116357

I've got one at work and it really sucks. I had my rig at work one day and I decided to hook this up to it and play some BF2. It's absolutely horrible for gaming. Lot's of ghosting, smearing, bleeding... everything... It's ok for just regular stuff and movies... but do not buy this for gaming.

Personally, if the LCD is going to be used for gaming, i'd stay in the $300 to $500 range. But, if you're on a tight budget, I guess the ones the others have linked would be cool.

I stick to Viewsonic & Samsung. Although the viewsonic I listed above is the first one i haven't been happy with. Then again, it's not ment for gaming, so it's self explainatory.

BTW: Nice userbars you got there irish...

like I said ealier in the thread, I heard Acer is not the best screen company. I don't know a lot about them, but stick with the companies the boys posted on the first page.

Ryan

on edit: I still don't know how LCD's are measured. Is it viewable size, or is it from the plastic corner to plastic corner? Someone measure theirs and toss me a reply please...

Pretty much viewable size, mi amigo.

If you're gonna go LCD, go for 19". Trust me on this one. Even if you have to put it off for a little bit to save up some more. It is that important.

May I ask why? I've always been partial to smaller monitors. I know that's unusual, but I like my 15" CRT. And if these monitors do go by viewable size, then a 15" LCD is going to have a bigger screen than my 15" CRT.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom