adding ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

bojker26

Baseband Member
ok i want to upgrade my computer from 1x256mb to 2x256mb so i need to buy 1x256mb my mobo is amd athlon xp 2000+ have no idea what to buy but i have a fair idea on how to put it in. Is it possible for me to buy a 512mb so i have 768mb? sorry about my ignorance.
also at the momment i have a popup which always loads even with firefox and opera! I was wondering if i formatted the hard drive whether that would kill it. How do i do this if i do want to do it?
Thank s for your help!

When you format a drive, you're wiping it totally clean. You'll kill the operating system too. So yeah, the popup will go away.

You can put a stick of 512mb of ram in there, sure. You probably are using DDR266 ram. You'll have no problem upgrading that.

Ryan

well, by reinstalling windows, you'll have reformatted it. So put in your windows disc and follow the instructions. Make sure to back up everything you want first. It'll all be gone as far as we're concerned.

Ryan

thinking about it i think that i should by a dvd burner so that i can burn all the stufff i want to keep onto disk eg photo's and work can i just buy one and fit it into my current machine

so can i just put any dvd rewriter in my machine? and how do i know that the ram i am using is 266mhz? i heard that you have to have the same speed ram if you are using two of the same.
Thank you for your help it is really appreciated.

Your ram most likely is 266Mhz, but it is impossible to tell for sure. Open up your case, and take out a stick of RAM. If it has two sections (ie: divided half and half), then get DDR, but if it is 3 separations, get SD. If it is DDR, just get 400Mhz, and if it is 266Mhz, it will just run a bit slower.

As for reformatting your hard drive, thats easy, just boot from your XP cd, and follow instructions.

As for you TV card, just buy a PCI tv card. That will work on any desktop.

can you provide any details about what kind of motherboard you have?
What chipset is on the motherboard?
how many PCI slots are free on the motherboard
an IDE DVD burner SHOULD work on your machine.

will Elixir 256MB DDR RAM PC3200 DDR400 Memory work i am planning on adding it to my current one which is 256mb ddr400?
I have two free pci slots. no idea about the mobo. how do i find out?
can i not just buy any dvd rewriter?
Thanks once again for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom