Will I need a new cd-key if I change my mobo, cpu, vid card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dario03

Fully Optimized
I'm upgrading half the parts in my computer and need to know if my code will still work.

the cdkey will always work regardless to hardware changes but if windows will install is another thing which cant be answered without knowing the answer to another question, which is.
is your pc customized or you bought it in one piece from dell for example?

I know that XP professional will not work, but I just replaced my dad's whole computer and I was able to use the same XP home key.

Accodring to M$ who recently released a article about this. A new motherboard constitues a new PC. Therefor you would need a new Serial to stay legit. Here is a quote from the article:

The millions of dollars necessary to feed the army of lawyers and to pay the penalties imposed by the European Union on the giant from Redmond have to be covered in some way, and one of the solution lies within OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) licenses.

As you know, this type of license is distributed by an Original Equipment Manufacturer (a person or company who builds and sells computers) and can only be used on one computer. Up until now, the owner of such a license has been allowed to change a number of components, any of them, without having
to purchase a new one.

But as FlexBeta announces, this will no longer be possible and that is because of a slight modification in the license agreement.

Microsoft has redefined the concept of computer and has reduced it to the motherboard, which means that a newly acquired motherboard requires a new license for the operation system.

Full Article:
Softpedia

That is incorrect if you change the mobo you need a new key as said above it will "work" but it will be reported as a pirated key to MS which is BS but it's their rules.

I think it's BS also, Just look at all the mobo's that fail in emachines.
All those ppl will have to buy the op sys again....BS!!

Is it now?

the policy is BS, but can logically be explained that when your product is activated your Mobo Serial Number is sent with it as a unique identification for that Windows Serial Key. Microsoft would have to change their activation algorithems and policies which they are not going to do. Of course this is at the expense of the people.

Well as i posted in the article above this applies to all OS's including OEM. But if your mobo fails that is a different story. EMachine will have to replace it and then the OS at the same time. That is part of the warrenty.

But for us that build machines or upgrade our machines that means we will have to buy a new OS whenever we change out the mobo.

Its a home built computer that I just built in August.

So it will not work at all? I heard you can use the code twice before it wouldn't work or am I just completly screwed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom