Help with hardware/Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtothefizzle

Beta member
I'm not too certain of the problem, so if this is in the wrong forum, sorry.

A few months ago I upgraded my desktop with a new motherboard, case, power supply, and RAM. The computer turns on and everything, and it acknowledges my two hard drives, my CD drive, my RAM (512mb), and my floppy drive in the CMOS dealie. However, when it starts Windows, it displays the one screen that asks you to choose between "Start Windows using last know good configuration", "Start Windows in Safe Mode", etc.
If I choose to use the last known good configuration or to start normally, it starts up Windows and I can barely catch a glimpse of the Windows logo and blue progress bar, when it flashes to a blue screen (for a fraction of a second so I can't read anything it says...it's white text) and restarts.

I'm completely lost on the cause of this. It worked, then I got a new motherboard; also, my old MB had onboard video, while my new one does not, and at the moment all I have is a PCI (note, not PCIe) video card. It seems to work so I'm confused if that is the source of the problem.
Also I have new RAM, which appears to be acknowledged, because the CMOS dealie says I have around 524,000k...I don't know why 524m instead of 512, that's just what it says. >.>
I believe my hard drives are hooked up properly. I have them both hooked up to one IDE cable with the (hopefully) correct master-slave setup.
I'm pretty sure my power supply is good enough; I barely have anything hooked up.

I thought it could be some kind of hardware clash in Windows or something (completely unsure of this, just half-baked speculation), so I did attempt to just delete my current Windows and install it again. Unfortunately, my Windows CD runs like normal (loading things) and then it says "Windows is starting up" and it completely freezes. I've literally left it on for hours to see if it just took a while to start.

Does anyone have any idea at all what this might be? I'm lost. :(

Windows doesn't like it if you replace the motherboard, you can either reinstall windows, or look elsewhere on the internet for how to fix this in the recovery console. I think there's a way in the console to get rid of all hardware profiles to have it redetect everything, you'll have to google it though, I dont know exactly how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom