Conroe Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
How are the Socket AM2 equivalents of the Socket 939 CPUs going to be any different! Same architecture, same caches (few changes at the most, no gains anyhow), same clocks!

Plus, AMD's highest end CPU at the time (at stock), the FX-60 gets wooped when OC'd to a stock CPU that's going to sell for half the price of the FX-60!

I'm waiting until the summer anyway now.

Re: Glad, But Mad?

Brtnboarder495 said:
probably/around/seems

Ill wait until fair, accurate, DEFINITE infomation is given. No probably's and around's.

Brtnboarder495 said:
How are the Socket AM2 equivalents of the Socket 939 CPUs going to be any different! Same architecture, same caches (few changes at the most, no gains anyhow), same clocks!

DDR2.

Brtnboarder495 said:
Plus, AMD's highest end CPU at the time (at stock), the FX-60 gets wooped when OC'd to a stock CPU that's going to sell for half the price of the FX-60!

Yes a processor that isnt out yet may preform better at certain things than a present day processor. Big shock.

I'm not talking about the AM2 switch. K8L will be the next gen AMDs. The first AM2 CPUs will still be K8.

You guys are completely missing the point of the "Conroe Crisis". For a chip like the Conroe to out-perform the FX-62 by 40% and be half the price sounds impossible. In all reality its far from it. Yes it's amazing that Intel has increased their clockspeed efficiency buy nearly 100%, HOWEVER, the price is a hoax. That chip deserves to be sold for over a thousand USD. They have the money, that's a given; they want control of the market. If this Conroe hits the shelves for 300-500 USD AMD is totally screwed. That's the only thing they have going for themselves is the gamers cpu. Anyone who has seen these benches has gone bananas. My self included, an avid AMD fan. I'd drop AMD in a heartbeat for that kind of performance/price edge and I'm sure many other would...

Yes, I know that these benchmarks have seemed to be a bit bogus, and I'd also agree. 40% sounds crazy, if the field was balanced a bit more somehow though, that still isn't going to make up for the 20-30% the Conroe holds over the FX-62. Also, DDR2 will do jackshit for AMD because AMD CPUs hardly require on memory for performance (because they have their own onboard CPU memory controller). At the most, you'll see a 10% performance jump, 5% sounds more realistic. Either way, if the FX-62 ties in performance with the Conroe 2.66ghz, the FX-62 is still going to be twice as expensive!

AMD is going to have to pull some nice tricks in order to prevent Intel from stealing the CPU crown. And they have absolutely no CPU that could match the Conroe (in raw performance, forget price : performance). That's not even Intel's Conroe EE!

BennyV04988 said:
"The Empire Strikes Back..."

Not to flame, but do you think you could post something that contributes to the forum? That's at least the third thoughtless post I've read in 10 minutes by you.

i would laugh soooo hard if AMD is secretly working on a new cpu...
ya know? as soon as intel would release the conroe, AMD unleashes its new sexy beast that blows the conroe away and then Intel gets screwed out a crap load of money and time.... that would make my year

It would be quite funny, but there's nothing like that in AMD's roadmap at all, and they have to have the CPU ready at least a month or two before July to release it around Conroe. I'm sure they have something up their sleeves, the real question is will it be powerful enough to take Conroe, and competitively with pricing. I do believe those benchies with the FX-62 (simulated), and the Conroe are a bit off by maybe 10%, 20% at the most, but that still leaves the FX-62 behind by a significant amount (20%) and it's going to be around $1200. The FX-60 was about that much when released, and this FX-62 will be a brand new socket and a brand new CPU.

AMD's answer to Conroe isn't coming until Mid-2007. Its in the pre-dev stages right now.

But what made you think that Conroe would fit on a Ceder Mill socket? Ceder Mill = Pentium 4, Conroe = Totally different. Going with Cedar Mill was a bad idea anyways, but you assumed that you'd get a Conroe on the Socket, so I guess that can be excused.

As for the comment about the processor not out right now, fact is, there won't be much of a defense from AMD when Conroe comes out. The situation will be as it is right now, so the performance ownage that you see right now, its likely to be the same performance difference when the processor actually does come out in Q3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom