Conroe Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
And anyone seen their commercial?

It went something like this...

"They were in a pc, but now they are in a mac, they are set free"

There are a lot of things wrong with those articles, I'll post them later when I have time. Though some parts seem to be accurate.

Rahul Sood on Intel's benchie comparisons

Interesting blog entry. Dude really looked into this, and his findings show that Intel fixed the thing... even if they didn't realize it.

http://voodoopc.blogspot.com/2006/03/if-only-they-had-time-machine.html

The long and the short of it is Intel has crafted an excellent marketing strategy to show off their baby in its first trimester. They are trying to win the hearts and minds of enthusiasts half a year before they have anything to show us. They created these platforms in house, and we can only hope they unknowingly crutched the AMD system by using a chipset and motherboard - with an outdated bios - that no enthusiast supports.

facinating... Puts things in a little clearer perspective. I mean, I'm not claiming conroe will suck, but this shows that the playing field wasn't level.

Ryan

Glad, But Mad?

It's terrific to see that Intel's Conroe is going to cost probably half as much as the FX-62, and yet deal out somewhere around 30-40% more in performance. That's basically a 100% more efficient CPU. I was actually planning on buying a Socket T motherboard with a Cedar Mill 3.0ghz for now with a 945 chipset.

But it seems that Conroe won't be able to use any old chipsets, you need to buy a new motherboard of the chipset 965 (or any other new generation chipsets Intel will release later this year). This is terribly aggravating and annoying, and now it seems that I might just go AMD. One of the main reasons I wanted to go Intel was because I didn't want to wait until June to buy a comp setup, I could use my Cedar Mill for now, and upgrade to a Conroe later. But since AMD's Socket AM2 will cause the same "problems", of needing to buy a new motherboard and CPU, and AMD is releasing AM2 before Conroe and 965, I might as well go AMD. Intel wanted to steal some gamers away from AMD by releasing such an awesome CPU for such a cheap price, but then they killed off the dream by doing this!

Is anyone else glad, but mad about this ordeal?

What is so amazing? Look how long its taken for intel to actually get in head of old AMD tech.

You should compare this to the AMD K8L not the K8. (maybe up to 2x the speed of the current AMD cpus for clock speed).

Cappy said:
I agree , my final take will be when its out and tested by people like us .

somehow i think conroe is off to a prescott-ish start with public reaction, although thats just my personal speculation.

why would intel use an r480 rig? r580 offers tighter mem timings, better o/c options, and more than likely better efficiency.

after anandtech released its revised versions of its screwy benchmarks, im with you cappy, wait for conroe/am2 to come out and then we shall see for certain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom