LCD ignorant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard bad things about Acer laptops. Their screens are the first things to go. I assume the LCD's would be along the same lines...

I'd like to keep it under $200 grand total, but people here like to trickle over budget, so I give them a low budget to work with. It's my way of dealing with thier ease of spending other people's money.

Keep in mind, I want to run the thing at 1024x768. Not 1280x1024.

Ryan

on edit: does anyone know what the viewable size is on 15" LCD's?

hmm... guess not. Well, I'll just count on getting the BenQ I posted, but if anyone has any personal experience or info on some items, feel free to post. I probably won't order for a week.

Ryan

I'm not concerned with response time. 16ms and below is fine for me. My woman has a 16ms and it looks fantastic. I think it's a matter of how sensitive one is to ghosting. It doesn't bother me very much.

Ryan

17" LCDs look fine on 1024 x 768, it's jut eh 19 inchers that have problems on that res. If I am upgrading to an LCD I would go for at least 17".

FghtinIrshNvrDi said:
Keep in mind, I want to run the thing at 1024x768. Not 1280x1024.
Ah right, LCD's don't look so great on lower resolutions. Well, since you want to run on low resolution with a high response time, you shouldn't have any problems with the BenQ. Good luck!

I really wouldnt get that one, but the choice is up to you. That one has a bad pixel pitch compared to 17 inch monitors, and it has a low contrast ratio.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824179016

That's the monitor I use and it treats me very well, it's colors are amazing too, I highly reccomend it for gaming.

It's worth the extra 30 bucks. As for resolutions, every decent monitor will run at 1280x1024 natively, only 15 inchers which almost no one uses run at 1024x768. 17 Inchers can scale down and still look pretty sharp, I run mine at 1024x768 for the windows desktop, aswell as games that I cant push to 1280x1024. It still looks great.

Important figures to keep in your mind:

-Settle for no less then a DVI connection, otherwise your LCD is a waste
-Make sure you have a 16ms or less response rate (16 is pushing it, usually its 12ms)
-No less then 500:1 contrast ratio

Size and whatever is all your prefs, enjoy shopping!

Trustable brands: Benq, Acer, Viewsonic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom