Protecting Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

EzD

Baseband Member
Ok so about a month ago, I unplugged my computer and put all the devices away so they wouldn't be damage - while I moved my room around. When I got everything settled, I plugged most of my stuff in (mouse, keyboard, monitor) and started up my machine. I used the machine for a few hours, and then needed to print something - so I plugged my printer into the front USB port and heard a "pop".

My computer froze up, and when restarted, loaded nothing. I had my tech dude check my computer, and reported a fried mobo and processor. So right now, my machine is with ASUS, and they are setting me up with replacements because I am under warranty.

Now I need to know, how the **** can I prevent this from happening again? I am really scared to plug my printer in, and have the new board get toasted right away. So, is there anything else that could have caused this? When I opened my computer it was FILTHY! Could lots of dust contribute to something like this? Because I used to plug USB items into my computer while it was on all the time - obviously with no problems.

Thanks

Sounds like a power supply problem. I would get a decent power supply, what kind of specs are in your system?

Dust wouldn't do anything seeing as how it is not conductive.

Its a 550W. Powering ASUS P4P800 SE with P4 3.2 GHZ, 1024 DDR RAM, Geforce 6600GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom