MAC vs PC - What do you Prefer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
-------------------------
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by apokalipse
now I didn't even try to say that it wasn't POSSIBLE to create a virus for OS X i did mention it would be extremely difficult, emails are put into a completely seperate part of the Hard Drive
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

same with a PC, its called temporary internet files, they can still propagate themselves across the whole hard drive, that right there is a noob statement, hell viruses can propagate across LANs, WANs, and GANs, why not a hard drive :p

I know PC's can, but it is the way OSX does it, it refuses access to system files from any emails.

-----------------------------------------------

quote:
Mac's can't do anything? I'll tell you what, the Mac's have sooooo many really good pieces of software (graphics are one of it's biggest), and on top of that it CAN run Windows programs (mind you most people who own a Mac don't)
thats funny because no one uses "pcs can run Mac software" (which they can through an emulator) as an arguement for why PCs are better, lol because PCs have more software

that's because PC's can't run Mac software, there aren't any emulators for it.
I'm using "Macs can use PC software too" to say Macs are more capable

---------------------------
quote:
I'm gonna tell you this, there are a lot of people who prefer Mac software, My dad's friend Aiden is one, and I would love to be able to use Itunes and some of their graphics software on my PC but noooo, that's not possible on a PC

there are more people that prefer PC software over Mac software

that's only because there are less Mac users, if there were the same amount of both users, the numbers of people who perefer Mac software would prolly be higher than the people who prefer Windows progs

-----------------------------------
quote:
what do you mean how is it possible to own more software? I mean if somebody on a Windows computer might have 10 pieces of software, somebody with a Mac might have 20 or 25 now tell me it isn't possible

i didnt say it wasnt possible, i just said why do you think that someone with a computer that has less software available and the software that is available is more expensive would have more software than someone that owns a computer that has more software availble for less? its basically like saying "more people own 2004 dodge vipers (more expensive, less available) than 2000 hondas (cheaper more widely availble) it just doenst make sense

that wasn't my argument, you said this exactly: "how is it possible to own more software for a mac than a pc?"
i think that speaks for itself.

quote:
now, the statement "I looked at a PC and it crashed" was an EXAMPLE, JUST READ IT!!! I said "any idiot could have made up a story like that" then i put it in as an example. now who is immature? not me!

no definately now its you

you couldn't win that particular argument so you try and throw in an insult "oh gee, I think Ill call you immature for making a point" I think that is itself immature.

--------------------------------
quote:
Originally posted by apokalipse
The G5 is expensive, but if you had a PC with the same specs it would prolly end up costing the same, but then the G5 would still perform better.

totally not true, lol, i just built the computer you see below (- the hard drives and cd-roms) for $640 USD, there is no way you could get a Mac with comprable specs for the same price, ok, say i paid $100 and $150 for the hard drives and another $100 for the CD-Roms thats still under $1000, no way in hell could you get a Mac like that for the same price, wont happen

you aren't comparing everything, what about getting a DUAL 64 bit processor, or a mobo that can hold 8GB RAM? those are the biggest things!

and if there are no viruses for OSX, why then would mcafee make a virus scan product for it?

I don't know, why don't you ask Mcaffe?

I do like PC's, and I do own a PC, all I am saying is that Macs still work better in a lot of ways, PC's work better in a lot of ways too; I'm trying to say Macs are prolly more capable than PC's, with the downfall of not as much software. how many times has Microsoft promised more stable and reliable OS's, and not keep up to it? Microsoft has only been a better seller, Mac is still very much alive and kicking! just like Mcdonalds verses KFC.

and do you know how many movies are made use the Macintosh system?

Thats what i dont get. and the point i am trying to make here is that we are promised a reliable OS thru Microsoft, and in my honest oppinion, XP is a reliable OS.

I have been using it for a VERY long time and it hasnt crashed on me once. Our company bought a couple of new EMacs with OSX and I race them with COMPAQS...THATS RIGHT. COMPAQ and guess which one wins.

The only thing i LOVE about the Macs are the picture quality. watching a DVD on a Mac is suerb. Mind you, thats the hardware, not the OS. Im Not a big Fan of the OSX, but then again, the Mac OS never realy did anything for me.

PC FOR A REAL WORLD

This just depends on what you want to do with your computer. Multimedia applications are easier and have a lot more quality when using a MAC.

But, if you want your computer to be compatible with everyone else's in the world and be able to do anything with it, get a pc, build one at best.

PC's may not be as stable, but how often is the system going to crash, not that often. Like the commercials that put down satellite systems, they talk about how satellites lose the single all the time in the rain, sun etc. When my satellite goes out for like a minute maybe three times a year. STABLILITY is not that great of an advantage in a MAC over a PC.

Plus upgrading and making a PC compatible will be easier and cheaper, you have more custom options with a PC then a MAC.

Hope this helps,

Blake

ADZ said:
Thats what i dont get. and the point i am trying to make here is that we are promised a reliable OS thru Microsoft, and in my honest oppinion, XP is a reliable OS.

I like XP aswell, but it also depends on what you do on a PC, and the hardware to how often it crashes. My PC has crashed quite a few times

ADZ said:
I have been using it for a VERY long time and it hasnt crashed on me once. Our company bought a couple of new EMacs with OSX and I race them with COMPAQS...THATS RIGHT. COMPAQ and guess which one wins.

what model Mac's are you racing against what model Compaq's?

Re: PC FOR A REAL WORLD

blake67t said:
This just depends on what you want to do with your computer. Multimedia applications are easier and have a lot more quality when using a MAC.

But, if you want your computer to be compatible with everyone else's in the world and be able to do anything with it, get a pc, build one at best.

PC's may not be as stable, but how often is the system going to crash, not that often. Like the commercials that put down satellite systems, they talk about how satellites lose the single all the time in the rain, sun etc. When my satellite goes out for like a minute maybe three times a year. STABLILITY is not that great of an advantage in a MAC over a PC.

Plus upgrading and making a PC compatible will be easier and cheaper, you have more custom options with a PC then a MAC.

Hope this helps,

Blake
Games: this is the only software problem I see with Mac's, the game producers don't have enough programmers for the Mac OS, which is the only reason there aren't so many games, but compatibility is no prob with Mac's, as I have said before, they do have a Windows emulator.

--------------------------------------

temporarily off Mac verses PC's:
I don't want to attack anybody, so if I counter anything anybody says, try not to take it personally

--------------------------------------

the PowerMac 64-bit processors that are used in the G5 are somewhat similar to the Athlon 64's, although they were designed a lot earlier.
both the Athlon 64's and the PowerMac 64-bit processors run at lower core frequencies than the Pentium 4's and can both complete more instructions per clock cycle; the Athlon 64's are the only PC-based processors that have caught up close to the dual Powermac 64's, considering how long the Powermac 64 processors have been around.
I have not seen an Athlon 64 verses a single Powermac 64 in benchmarks, but the G5 motherboard is also optimised to more intelligently make use of the dual processors so it has more than the performance of x plus y.

after reading the posts i really think it all comes down to what you grew up with and what your comfortable with. I prefer pc's over mac's mainly becuase i grew up with pc's. I have friends who grew up with mac's and they swear theirs are better. If one was trully better than the other then the other one wouldn't exist. Thats my philosophy.

I grew up with a Apple / Mac. But after hiJacking the P-100 from a company I was working at 24 hours before the liquidators came in and seized everythingelse, I started to learn how to use it.

The final straw was when my dad started charging me for his Black Ink on it Mac, when I was using the colour printer on the PC.
After that, I forced myself into the windows environment. After that, I then questioned myself "How did I put up with just one mouse button for all those years?"

I will confess that Mac OS is more stable that Windows OS, but for what I need (want) to do, a PC will do me fine.

Debates about Mac vs. PC bore me. I get this cr@p from my dad all time on how me is so PC-Challanged.

My line is always :-
If the computer does the job you need/want it to do, then shut up and do it regardless what flavour your computer takes!

Cannonarm said:
after reading the posts i really think it all comes down to what you grew up with and what your comfortable with. I prefer pc's over mac's mainly becuase i grew up with pc's. I have friends who grew up with mac's and they swear theirs are better. If one was trully better than the other then the other one wouldn't exist. Thats my philosophy.

this is probbably true for most people, but with me, I only grew up with one Mac - the first ever model Macintosh, after the Apple computers - but I still prefer Macs even though I own a PC and have learnt 98% of what I know about Mac's AND PC's, on a PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom