Video Problems!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimara

Solid State Member
My computer that was in stand-by would not wake. This sometimes happens, so I rebooted the computer. My monitor does not 'turn on' (it has the power, but it is still in standby) and the computer doesn't make the ussual noises. Nothing appears on the screen, except for the Check Video Cable box. I figure it isn't getting a signal. I hook up a different monitor to the same computer, which doesn't work. I test the original monitor on a different computer, which works. I know the problem isn't the monitor, connections or cable, it has to be the tower. I have a GeForce 4 64 mb graphics card with a tv/out made by asus, a p4 1.6 gh, an asus motherboard, and windows xp professional. I cannot figure out what the problem is, if it is hardware, or if it is a software or BIOS problem. Can someone plz advise and help, I need a solution desperately. I think BIOS problems cannot be fixed, so i hope i wont need to get a new motherboard
Help...

It may help you to ‘reset’ the BIOS. If you can get as far as the BIOS screen, make a note of the variable settings if you don’t know them, then turn the computer off, and switch off the power supply. Open the case and flip out the ‘large watch battery’ on the Motherboard for about a minute then re-insert.

Turn everything back on and go into the BIOS screen, make the necessary adjustments, save and reboot. You should be sorted.

Thanks, but nothing at all comes on my screen. The screen isn't even getting a signal...

In that case, have you tried re-seating the graphics card, the constant hot/cold cycles can cause them to lose contact with the AGP/PCI slot.

Yes, I have taken out the graphics card, cleaned of the dust a little, and reinserted it if that is what you mean.

Now uve lost me. I do think it has a 9 pin male on the back that is part of the motherboard, which has a monitor picture and IOIOI next to it, but i cannot hook that up to my monitor because my monitor cable is also 9 pin male, so it needs a 9 pin female. The graphics card does have a 9 pin female.
Thanks for your ongoing help and quick replies.

The IOIOI is a serial port, Video out is 15 pin and often blue. I am starting to run out of ideas, by this stage I would be thinking about trying a BIOS reset. It is worth waiting a bit to see if someone else can leap in and save the day with a bright (no pun intended) idea though.

Sounds to me like you've got Hibernation enabled in XP..........try turning it off. Some mobo's BIOS's do not work well with this feature (they hibernate OK but don't wake!).

True with the hibernation problem.Have you tried to take out the video card and use another one to test.Mabey from that other computer you were talking about.Just be carefull of static electricty whenever you work on the inside of the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom