HELP...Suggestions needed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayryk_

Beta member
I am a junior in High school, soon to be senior, my parents are planning on buying me a laptop for college soon. In college I am going to major in COMPUTER NETWORKING/TELECOMMUNICATIONS. Can anyone please help me out and suggest what kind of computer(brand, specs,etc.) I should get. Your help will be greatly appriciated.

Thanks for oyur time,
Ayryk_

I am not going to suggest any laptops for you as I only have used the Gateway laptop I recently purchased for my girlfriend.

My suggestion is to look into Cisco & Nortel certifications. Specifically the CCNA certification will be very helpful to you when you go out to get a job. Cisco isn't the ONLY vendor that offers cert's though. I know that at my place of work, MOST of our customer's use Cisco hardware, but we do have other's that use Nortel, Extreme Networks, Atran, etc. etc..... In my workplace, EVERYONE is REQUIRED to be at LEAST a CCNA. Very few people have Nortel certifications.

Are you looking into getting into VOIP? Then again, look into Cisco, Avaya, etc. etc.

Good Luck man... (if you have extra time in high school, try taking a programing class if it fits into your schedule.)... I took 3 years of programming in High School (I graduataed in 2001), and it helped to understand logic & whatnot).

there is more...

There is more.....Not only will i be majoring in Networking/ Telecommunications but I will also be minoring in Multimedia/web design. Web design and Multimedia have been my major focus since about 7th grade, I had a wonderfull Comp Teacher in middle school with GREAT experiance. Since talking to my uncle about possible carrers and college majors in the computer field, I have decided to major in networking. Networking and Programming have always interested me, but I never had the time or discipline to sit down and teach myself. I just need to know what computer systems (os, etc.) are being used my the majority of network administrators and what would be a good system for me to learn on.....

I hope I am not being too much trouble,

Thanks for your time,
Ayryk_

P.S. If you would like to give me any suggestions on schools or majors that you think would interest me please do, I am not completly set in stone yet, but I do need to get there soon. I want to move around the AUSTIN TX area. Well thank you very much. BYEZ for now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom