Two problems. No signal detected + HDD issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've done some more troubleshooting. I have helped The Scientist on aim extensively and still we cannot come to a conclusion. The Scientist built his computer pretty much off of the specs I have on my computer, except he got the 3700 processor while I got the 3000.

I remember reading that RAM can cause some weird things to happen to computers, so we tried some different configurations with that. What I told him to do was remove 2 sticks, so he had one gig remaining in the computer, and boot it. Nothing happened. Then, he ran a single 512 stick, booted it... nothing happened. Then, we tried once more with a DIFFERENT 512 stick, same deal, nothing happened. So I think it's safe to say that, as unlikely as it was for RAM being the problem, we can cross that off of the list.

Also, since the power supply was changed, it's pretty evident that we can cross that off of the list.

We've tried different combinations of everything I could think of. We've reset the jumpers on the optical drives, ran a single drive, etc. For example, I had him disconnect both drives, and set one aside. With the other drive, setting the jumpers to master, hooking it back up, and seeing if there was a connection made. No go... We did the same thing with the other optical drive, same deal.

So now we're stuck between a rock and a very hard place... I'm all out of ideas, I don't know what could be restricting the optical drives to function properly. When I boot up my computer within 10-15 seconds I'm able to pop them open and/or get a green LED response from the front of them.

And step by step, I've went through and made sure he's wired up everything properly. We're stuck. I just don't know what else it could be. Everytime we think we have it pinpointed, we prove ourselves wrong.

Problem solved. Mr The Scientist decided he wanted to skip the part where you plug in the box shaped 4 pin connector from the PSU to the mobo. Works now. aaaahahahah :cool:

Jayce said:
Problem solved. Mr The Scientist decided he wanted to skip the part where you plug in the box shaped 4 pin connector from the PSU to the mobo. Works now. aaaahahahah :cool:

:< Aren't I awesome.

thats not alot of details you know , anyway im not sure your aware of this but your suppost to use the sata driver floppy on the windows setup (you need to click F6 right after it loads) and after about a minute it will ask for it

edit: forgot to mention , if an sata floppy wasnt provided with the motherboard then its likely on the motherboard cd and needs to be copied into a floppy , or alternativly it can be downloaded from the motherboard manufacturer site

TheScientist said:
So if it's silent...?
then thats the way it suppost to be (well unless you didnt connect something right lol) , noise levels vary among diffrent hds and in general hd noise shouldnt be too extreme just very low , anyway i somewhat doubt a 10krpm raptor will be so silent

TheScientist said:
:< Aren't I awesome.
hmm dont think so , you really werent suppost to skip that part

lol. Okay, there isn't much details because that's all there is but i'll try hooking up a floppy drive and doing that.

Edit: well i just remembered i can't get to the windows setup all of a sudden because it gets stuck at detecting array...

Well it wasn't doing it before it just started. I reset the bios i'm just gonna hang out and let it go for a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom