Video cards: Really BAD
Memory: OK
Sound card: Below average
Hard drives: BAD
Power supply: Really BAD
Optical drive: OK
CPU: Below average

Sorry dude, some bad choices there.

Do you have better suggestions for the same amount of money?

Re: Re: Re: He has "ants in his pants"!

TheMajor said:
Do you have better suggestions for the same amount of money?
Well, for the video card, he should have gotten an X800GTO2, whould would have unlocked to an X850XTPE, and that utterly destroys anything in the GeForce 6 series (in terms of speed), for the price he spent on the hard drives, he could have gotten some raptors, he should have gotten an X-fi XtremeMusic sound card, an Antec TPII 550 power supply, an opteron 146, and a DFI sli-d or sli-dr.

Ok....I'll tell my son his new computer is POS...... :) He'll be just fine........for $600. I have already built one of these systems for a friend and she is very happy! Wow...Abit mobo's are bad, Western Digital HD's are bad (I have never had a WD hard drive fail or not perform perfectly and I have installed literally hundreds of them! Maxtor and Seagate, amoung others, not so reliable). My initial comment is that it wasn't a particularly great setup. Once I complete the build I'll ask my son if he's happy. That is the only critic that matters. Thanks all for you info. Man, I am really behind the curve on gaming systems. Sheesh!! I have built a huge number of intel work stations and this is my first AMD. I'm a little amused at the "intensity" of the criticism, however, but then gaming is highly competative and extreme systems are, really expensive!!. My son just wants to play games without monster lag which he now experiences on this Nvidia FX 5600 and intel 2.8Ghz Northwood core system. The whole PCI express bus has now fascinated me so it's study time. Later all!

If my dad built a computer like that for me I'll be happy cause I'm not paying for it :p lol. But since I'm paying for mine I'm being pretty careful what i spend my money on.

I let my son read this post. He has decided that he will give me $100 of his savings and I am going to put the two 6800xt's on the shelve for installs in other systems and buy this card instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130256

I would presume that this kicks the quality of the system up a bit in terms of gaming and only for about $735 total investment. Thumbs up or thumbs down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom