Conroe

Status
Not open for further replies.
The mainstream versions (2.66GHz) gets 41% higher fps in FEAR than the FX-60 (2.8GHz). I wonder what the EE versions will do (3.33GHz).

And I read the 2.66 version will only cost around 560 dollars. The FX-60 is over 1000 dollars.

TheMajor said:
The mainstream versions (2.66GHz) gets 41% higher fps in FEAR than the FX-60 (2.8GHz). I wonder what the EE versions will do (3.33GHz).

And I read the 2.66 version will only cost around 560 dollars. The FX-60 is over 1000 dollars.

Which processor?

I check again on the Dutch website where I first read about it. According to insiders the price would be something like 595 dollars, but I don't know if that is factory price or retail price.

The 2.4GHz version will cost $315 and even that beats te FX-60 at stock speeds. If a 2.66GHz Conroe beats a 2.8GHz FX-60, then a 2.4GHz Conroe will beat a 2.6GHz FX-60.

How the @@#%$&*@#%@%&*@^#@&#@$^$%!%#@%$#
did they pull that off?!!!!

Looks like I might be rebuilding my system for an Intel....Benchmarks like that don't lie...:angry: :amazed:

Yea, the main reason it's cheaper is that Intel finally went with 65nm. That reduces production costs, and Intel could of always lowered their prices. There doing it now, because they know it's a crucial point in which they need to dominate against AMD. If they steal the lead from AMD now, they'll hold it until the next "leap year".

Nubius said:
Just imagine if these two giants worked together on a project.......I could only imagine what kind of CPU might emerge from that.

Nooooooooooo! I don't want any sort of monopoly where there is no competition.

Hold on guys: All current Mobo's ain't gonna work! Dang!!!!!

Intel's roadmap reveals more about the Viiv platform, and Conroe's VRM problem

Intel quietly released a list of Viiv specifications to its manufacturing partners last week. Intel's Viiv platform is an attempt to unify PC components into a concise, easily supported platform for media center PCs. Unfortunately, the project is already starting to show some missteps -- the Intel Conroe CPU, the workhorse of the Intel Viiv 1.5 and 1.6 platform, are not compatible with Viiv 1.0.

Documents from Intel mentioned that the next generation Intel desktop processor, Conroe, will require a platform refresh on existing chipsets. The upcoming Intel G965 and P965 chipsets will support Conroe, but any other Intel chipsets from 975X on down will require a modified VRM and BIOS updates. The VRM, or voltage regulator module, is the component on the motherboard that adjusts the voltages to the CPU. Even if today's chipsets are physically compatible with Conroe, no motherboard today will support the CPU if manufacturers followed the VRM guidelines set forth by Intel when those chipsets were designed.

The major software change to Viiv will be the operating system. Viiv 1.5 will feature Microsoft Windows XP MCE, while 1.6 will feature Microsoft Vista Premium. Windows Vista is due out later this year after the Intel Conroe processor launch. A footnote declares that the 1.5 Viiv software package will be available June or July of 2006.

Another new addition to the Viiv platform will be the addition of 802.11 a, b and g WiFi chipsets. The specification details that the 3945ABG or the 3965ABG WiFi chipsets may be added to a Viiv device and still receive support from the platform software.

Just got that off the web. It is going to cost you alot more than just the CPU................NEW MOBO TOO and Probably DDR2 Memory only......huge new build in sight!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom