Overclocking Prescott Easy So Far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cozmo

Solid State Member
Hi guys (&gals). I'm new to the OC world but found it very easy to OC my P4 Prescott 2.4 up to 3.0 Ghz. No voltage mods were necessary, just front bus speed adjustment. Idle temps on the processor went up from 37 to 40c. High load temps while video rendering never go higher than 50c. Stability is flawless.

I found that the side case fan with tube blowing onto the CPU fan really does the trick. I installed a variable speed fan here blowing in and another on the back blowing out (YS-TECH 80mm) with the speed control knob. For normal tasks, I can run the fans low and you can't hear it. When OC'd and doing video editing, I just crank the fans up and the temp drops rapidly.

Also, I found that the temps displayed in SpeedFan and Motherboard Monitor 5 were both low by exactly 6 degrees C on my CPU temp, as compared to my BIOS temp reading at "idle'. You can correct these temps in either program.

nice job! prescotts like to overclock generally. i'm sure you can get more speed out of that proc with some extra voltage. just watch temps.

i have a 3.2 prescott, at 3.5 i guess thats a pretty sissy OC, i have the same set up with the intake duct/fan it works pretty well with my stock intell heatsink so far... should i bump fsb up past 220mhz anyone???

Crank up that bus speed but watch your temps. I slowly went from stock (2.4) up to 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, etc until I maxed out the front bus speed. I never ran into temp or stability problems, but you can always back it down a tad if you do.

great job. I overclocked my 2.6 to 3.3Ghz a little over a month ago and its completely stable . The processor is the only part in my computer thats slowing me down. I gained some decent results in Super Pi and 3dmark05. I could go higher and my temps are still pretty low, about 40*C. but im pretty happy with that. See how much farther you can push yours and let us know. :p

Very nice... prescotts are super easy to OC. I have a 3.4 that went up to 3.96 before going t1ts up. :) Keep going and see what you can get out of it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom