repeated system32 errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

psychicpirate

Solid State Member
Alright, here's the deal. I built my own computer w/ XP home ed. last november. It has worked beautifully until last friday. I was installing some software for my dad's scanner. About halfway through installation, it froze, and I ended up restarting. Upon restart, I got a BSOD, something about an interruption of a process that had something to do with memory, and my computer was being shutdown to protect something. It went by kind of fast... So I restarted, and got a different error saying that system32\hal.dll was either missing or corrupted. I eventually reinstalled XP. After backing up my files, I realized that my speakers weren't working, and every time I opened up AIM or Media Player Classic my computer would freeze up for a very long time. I got fed up and repartitioned my HDD. I spent a good 3 afternoons reinstalling stuff, mainly drivers and programs like photoshop. Today I finally got around to installing BF2. I was joining a single player game when the screen froze. After about 5 minutes of "loading server", I restarted, only to be greeted by a completely new error message informing me that windows\system32\config\system was either missing or damaged. I was also told that it was an unrecoverable error. So sadly, I re-repartitioned. After getting windows installed, I installed the drivers for my video card, sound card, and wireless internet. Halfway through the install for my internet, the computer auto-restarted, and came up with the same message about config\system.

Can anyone tell me what's causing this and what I can do about it? I'm beginning to wonder if it's my hard drive. I repartitioned it, wiping everything. The second time it happened, I had only installed drivers that had been on my computer since I first built it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

yeh could be your hard drive. Their might be some bad blocks on the disk. Have you tried booting into safe mode and running a scandisk? or boot into recovery console and do a chkdisk.

I did a chkdsk, and was told that the drive has "one or more unrecoverable errors". I can't boot into windows to do a scandisk. I ran memtest, and the RAM looks fine. I don't see any damage to the mobo, so that's probably not it. Its looking more and more like an HDD problem. Right now I'm running the hard drive checker from hitachi. I'll post the result when it finishes. And thank you for your help, it is GREATLY appreciated.

I finished running hitachi's drive checking program. Nothing came up there. I'm using said program to completely wipe the drive now. If this doesn't work, I'm out of ideas. Can anyone think of anything else that could be causing these errors?

Did you FORMAT and then reinstall windows, using the Windows XP cd as the boot device? If not, that it what you should do....good luck.

Happened again. Loading a map in BF2, it hung up on me, then restarted itself. Before restarting it flashed something about an error with kernel_data_inpage_error.

This is getting ridiculous. If I were to just replace my HDD, would that stop the problem? Alternatively, WTF is causing this? My HDD has passed every test that hitachi makes. My RAM passed memtest, and the mobo appears fine. Is there a better way to reformat or something? Can somebody walk me through the right way to reformat, just to make sure I'm doing it correctly? After that, it has to ba a hardware issue, right?

1. Place the Windows XP CD into your CD drive while in Windows. Note: If a window appears after putting in the CD, close it. Reboot your computer with the CD in the drive.

PRESS F8 ON BOOT UP TO BRING UP THE BOOT DEVICE SCREEN, THEN SELECT THE WINDOWS XP CD TO BOOT FROM...

2. You now need to boot from the Windows XP CD. After restarting, you should see a screen that says "Press any key to boot from CD...". Press a key to start the reformatting process and continue to step 3 below. If you do not see this screen and boot into Windows XP normally, you may need to try the following:

a. Reboot and when starting your computer before the Windows XP screen appears, press a key that allows you to choose your Boot Options (usually displayed somewhere on the screen while first starting up). For instance, Dell computers use F12. You should be prompted for booting options and should choose the CD Drive (or DVD drive). If this isn't available, try the next option-

b. You may need to enter your computer's BIOS and change the boot order to allow the CD drive to boot before the hard drive. Changing this varies by manufacturer and should be accessible by contacting your computer manufacture's support site.

3. Your computer will now boot up using the CD. When asked what you wish to do, you wish to Install Windows. Note: If ResNet has required you to reformat your computer to get rid of a virus, you MUST completely reformat since running the "repair" or "re-install" will not get the virus off your computer.

4. You will be asked if you wish to create a new partition. First, select the partition that you already have, and press D to delete your existing partition, and then L to confirm that you wish to do this. This will completely erase all documents and programs (and viruses!) off of your computer.

5. You then need to create a new partition. To do, this select C.

6. When asked what size you wish to make your new partition, just press Enter to make your partition the maximum size.

7. Select the partition that you have created to install Windows XP on by pressing Enter.
8. Your computer will prompt you asking if you wish to do a quick installation or a regular installation. Either will work fine, but "quick" goes faster.

9. Now you need to select Format the partition by using the NTFS file system.
10. Windows XP will now be installed. This may take some time and then your computer will reboot. From now on all the screens during the installation process will look like the Windows XP screens you are used to.

http://www.resnet.uni.edu/docs/reformatxp.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom