wierd video trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

curtis20

Solid State Member
Hi guys well i have a big problem.
I bought a new mobo(asus a8v) and a new cpu(amd athlon 64 3200+)

iI installed everything in my case that i previously had my old mobo and cpu in. when i boot up it tells me primary master H D D not found press F1 to continue. i press it and xp boots up.

my video card is a ati radeon 9500/9700 pro. Everytime i boot up and try to do anything the computer will reboot. i have been using this card for about 7 months now so i know the card should be ok. i downloaded the drivers that was using before on my old pc and when i go to instal them the computer reboots half way through the install. if i go into safe mode the computer is stable and does not reboot. i replaced my vid card with an old nvidia riva tnt2 and the computer works perfectly. so what do you think is going on here ?

I have a 450 watt no name psu . thx guys .

if you didn't format your HD before installing these new major components then that would more than likely be the reason for your things going crazy.

When replacing a major component like a motherboard, you need to format your hard drive so the motherboard will be working with fresh drivers specific for that board.

considering everything is fine in safemode, I would assume this is what's going on.

Drivers from your previous set up are conflicting with the new hard ware.

Yes that step is done already. it wasnt done right away because i didnt know to do that but i got advised to do so a couple hours after everything was installed? my that hurt my mobo by not formatting right away. i also used the quick format. maybe i should have used the regular format? thx

nah, not formatting shouldn't hurt your mobo in anyway.

Also, not a lot of people know this, but the only difference between a quick format and normal format is the 'check disk' function that checks the HD for errors. Generally if your HD isn't acting up in any way a quick format is just fine.

However, if you had your computer for a while and it got fairly cluttered and you hadn't formatted in god knows how long then yes perhaps a normal format is more instore but I wouldn't think that'd be causing you these issues.

Instead of using those old drivers, you should check ATI's website and get the most up-to-date drivers.

Can't guarantee you either of those will fix your problem though. It's one of those where I need to be there to really help out.

yeah thats true. my pc has veen formated about 3 weeks ago lol. i don't know what to do i have ran out of ideas. so either i have to take my pc in to a tech and see what he sais or i can buy a new vid card and see if that works. if it doesnt work then i know. hmm maybe its my cheep 450 watt power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom