AM2 to wait or not to wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have the money upgrade ASAP if all you do is wait for new technology then u`ll never buy a pc :) . Technology is always progressing just upgrade with the latest tech for each year if possible.

I plan to upgrade when the G80 is out then get vista, AM2 socket and one of the dual cores for it. Then by 2008 or 2009 i`ll upgrade again when I have money.

But there is also common sense...

You do not want to buy "new" hardware when in 6 months the price on it will be chopped in half

A.) you feel bad for paying double the price
B.) you didn't get that "new" hardware which will remain new for some time and not just 6 months.

I'd agree with that ... look at the X1900XT's, there already at $500, that's a $100 price cut in what ... like two months? Not even I think. The 7800GTs are nearly half their MSRP at this point.

CPUs don't tend to go down in cost as much as memory and video cards, but they do over time.

I'm alittle dissapointed to be honest because of the lower clock pulses Intel seems to have lost their advantage over encoding and decoding media something I do much more than play games.

Is it true since they started using the more efficiant per clock cycle processors they lost their edge over "number crunching performance".

Asides from that it's better than anything AMD has got to offer or says they will offer.

Tyler1989 said:
Intel seems to have lost their advantage over encoding and decoding media
Are you kidding? Have you looked at the link I posted? It rapes an FX-60 overclocked to 2.8GHz!

Lol, anyways ... yea AMD's CPUs dont look that promising. They haven't really introduced anything new, I mean sure the elimination of slower clocked CPUs, but they still haven't released a stock 2.8 CPU have they? They should somehow refine the architecture and make DDR2 pay off.

I see no one has yet mentioned to stay away from early socket M2 cores and specifically Revision F chips because of the IMC...I know I have always been one to support the IMC and feel it's one of the better things to happen to CPU design in a while but it's not perfect

You look at AMDs previous trends, newcastle revision was full of bugs with the memory controller and winchester also suffered similar issues with certain capacities and such...wasn't until RevE cores which was nearly a well over a year since existing AMD64 cores were released that most of the problems with the IMC were worked out and obviously in this case redesigning the controller for DDRII support is going to encounter similar bugs in development that may lead to some problems

If anyone followed the K8 development you'd see that prototype results with early AMD64 cores about the same performance as comparable XP cores, same trend as RevF cores are having with existing AMD64 cores...and I expect the IMC development trend to continue with RevF and later revisions

Furthermore, smaller fabrication processes are also not really a valid reason to upgrade...the initial winchester die shrink proved rather unsuccessful and while it was true the winchester overclocked well for its era, the farbrication had an issue with higher frequencies which is why RevE cores replaced the Winchester rather quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom