Boss's Puter

Status
Not open for further replies.

gurusan

Golden Master
Alright so today I go into work expecting to help my boss move......well we moved a bed...but then he said he wanted a new puter and asked me to build one.

So I spent a few hours talking with him to find out what he wants. He basically wanted a functional computer that will remain fast for awhile and still have some upgradeability.

He was willing to spend 1500-2000 but of course less is better.

So I ended up getting him:

Exact same CPU, mobo, memory..setup as me because this is my first time building a puter for someone else and I know this combo is tried and tested by yours truly:

-Antec Smartpower 450w PSU
-Thermaltake Soprano
-AMD 64 3200+ Venice
-DFI nForce4 Infinity
-2 x 512mb mushkin enhanced performance (actually selling him my RAM and I will upgrade to 2gb)
-120gb WD Caviar SATA 7200rpm
-NEC DVD-R
-GeForce 7300gs (was this the right choice? He's not a gamer and it seemed like this was a very good budget build card)
-20.1'' Dell Widescreen monitor (he wanted a widescreen)

How quiet is the Thermaltake Soprano? I remember hearing it was one of the more quiet cases...

Thoughts on this build?

After EVERYTHING it cost about $1200...most of which was the monitor which was still a steal at 450 shipped

The 6800GS is more expensive and a better performer...

the MSI 7300gs 256mb PCI Express that I got him is 75 dollars.

He wanted to be able to use Vista when it comes out so I figured the 7300gs would be a good choice.

Brtnboarder495 said:
Well then you probably should of waited for a native DX10 card then ;)

Either way nice build.

Ok...so if I decided to "wait" then he would end up with NO display adapter until a few weeks or whenever they come out.

I liek it but i say get a dual core cpu. This way he will be able to multi task. Only $130 more won't hurt if he is willing to pay $2000 at most. An Amd 3800 X2 is around $300. Even though he sint a gamer having a dual core cpu will still rokc and it will defenitley last him long.

Get him a motherboard with integrated video. A 6800GS is a gamer card, why would a NON-GAMER want one?

septoid2 said:
Get him a motherboard with integrated video. A 6800GS is a gamer card, why would a NON-GAMER want one?
True but you still want a decent videocard for watching videos and playing some games liek monopoly. I say just get the 7300gs. I like it. If not that then get an fx5500. or a 6600. I have an Asus 6600 and it is awesome for me and I'm a gamer. Now on newegg it dropped to like $89 but mine is the agp version you use pci-E.

Everything has been purchased already.

Like I said...the 7300gs seemed like a great budget card....and I asked him about getting a dual core CPU and he said that when the price went down he would just upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom