Windows XP Pro reformatting problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emper0r

Baseband Member
Hey guys, I'm trying to completely reformatt my C drive, and it doesn't seem to be working, here's what I do:

Insert the Windows XP pro cd, choose new install and let it auto restart my computer. Then there's basically three things I can do:

1. Install Windows XP Pro again on the C drive.

2. Delete the C: Partition

3. Go into the recovery console and reformat that way

Well I obviously don't want to do #1... when I try to do #2 it says there's Windows temporary files that it needs so I can't delete it.

When I go into the recovery console, I type the following:

format c:

or I type: map
then: format c: /fs:ntfs

In both situations it comes up with:

This will delete ALL files on the partition, are you sure?(y/n): I type y and press enter, then it pauses for three seconds or so and then another empty command line pops up, which means it's not doing anything at all! Can anyone tell me why this is happening? Thanks.

Okay go with Option 1. I know it sounds odd but just try this. Say you want to install Windows again on the C: drive. From there it should bring up a message saying that Windows was already found. Click continue and it will ask then 3 options.
1. Leave as is
2. format with ntfs (quick)
3. format with ntfs

Choose option 3 and that should allow you to format. After it is done formatting just shut down the PC before it starts to install windows.

Sounds kinda bad but i have used this a few times myself when installing Vista. I havent had any problems in the year plus i have done this.

1. Install Windows XP Pro again on the C drive.

when it asks which partition to install to, press d to delete your c partition (i think you have to press L next to confirm). then, recreate your partition and pick it to install.

this will delete all data on the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom