He has "ants in his pants"!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RicoDirenzo

Fully Optimized
Now,I am aware that this in not the ultimate machine but I think my son will be happy (he is actually going out of his mind because he has to wait for the parts to ship). The Mobo and GPU's are on there way form Newegg (I love that company!):

Abit AN8 SLI Pro AMD 939
Dual Nvidia 6800xt's PCIe 256 megs each to run in SLi
2 gigs of DDR 400 Memory
Audigy 2 Zs
Dual Western Digital 250gig HD's in RAID 0, SATA1 150's
550 Wt. Codegen PSU (not the best but they have never let me down).
Benq Dual Layer DVD+/- RW
AMD 3200+ Venice Core

Think he will be happy with this rig? If he isn't...I will be!!!

:p

Hmm, the 6800XT ws a waste of money, chocked down version of the 6600GT

200 dollars could have bought you a 6800GS which would have been an awesome card

Everything else looks semi ok :)

Ouch... You're right PZERO. The 6800XT was not a great move. It could've been better spent on a 6800GS or streched to a 7800GT, both of which would outperform.

Ryan

Meh doesn't matter, 6800XT pretty much performs at the same range of the 6600GT anyway, and SLI will boost its performance, not alot, but by a bit anyway.

That's interesting. I built one of these already and the 3dmark05 score on this system was 5960. It is not the best, as I said but I put these units together for around $600. The 6800xt single is not all that exciting...but in SLi they run BF2 at the highest res glitchless!! and they are $89 each after the rebate! :) The nice thing for him is that he can upgrade the CPU and then buy upgraded GPU's (he wants dual 7800's but I think he should wait for the next generation of Nvidia cards...7900's?????). This is not a hardcore gamers machine but it is up to the task for all current games, for awhile! (an that wuld be 6 months. LOL!)

Edit: I run an OC'd AGP 6800gt 450/1150 and all I could get was a 5250 on 3dMark05 using a Prescott 3.0 800FSB. I have not, until this year, ever bought AMD......so long to intel!!!!

The problem with 3dmark and SLI is that SLI gives large boosts in 3dmark scores but not as much in games. So a % increase in 3dmark won't be the same % increase in most games.

but still 5960 on 3dmark is pretty impressive, tell us the fps on bf2 and cs"s and stuff. im really interested cause i heard the 6800xt's really get a big performance boost in SLI

What part of the test protocol favors SLI? The evaluation is a combo fo FPS, AL and other effects. So out of ignorance, I'd like to be informed as I do deal wiht a large number of gamers who presume the same thing I do that the 3Dmark benchmarks are reasonably accurate assessments of ovealll system performance. I use an oc'd 6800gt AGP 256meg card. The performance of these 6800xt cards in SLi relative to my AGP card (supposedly vastly superior because of the # of pipelines), does not come close to these two "inferior cards" when looking at game play in Doom3, Q4 and BF2. What am I not getting? At very high resolutions in Q4, for example, the AGP card is running 20 to 25 FPS. The two 6800xt's in SLi are pushing 55-65!!! I'm just confused.......looks like I goning to have to break out the ole books!!! :)

wow thats pretty awesome, do you have the graphics on high? and is AA or AF on? cause with other cards, like 7800gt SLI doesnt give such a big performance boost

Edit: I run an OC'd AGP 6800gt 450/1150 and all I could get was a 5250 on 3dMark05 using a Prescott 3.0 800FSB.
Whoa whoa whoa Mr. Your GT is OCed even beyound MINE and i get over 6000. Wtf mate? Somethings wrong there for a 6800XT to outperform your GT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom