How long?

Status
Not open for further replies.
apokalipse said:
from what I've read, Quantum computers are not about finding the answer to a problem. they find a number of possible solutions and give the probability of each

And once we figure out how to use the properly, Just Imagine.

Qoute: aliasaid
"don't worry, civilization will end pretty soon, and we won't be worrying about silicon and transistors then."

Unfortunatly it won't end as soon as we hope.

Soon though were not going to be able to use silicon for anything it's going to be a completely different material. Almost positronic jelly.

well they could put say 5MB cache on the mainboard(along with other devices) ,and that would work for up to a four core processor. Then they can sell 1 to 4 core processors, buyers choice.

Sure they can do that but it's not going to be for long. They're starting to run out of actual physical room on the CPU. Sure the cache on the motherboard would free up some room but it would probably make the data transfer slower between the cache and the die.

the problem would be in the conectivity between the mainboard and the core(s). maybe some type of superconducter would help. BTW the conection between ram and memory controller on modern PCs doesnt seem to cause to much of a problem.

Well if you look at INTEL vs AMD one of the reasons why AMD wins in a lot of benchmark tests is becasue they have a direct link to the memory and it doesn't have to go through a chipset. Anyway one point would be that it's a lot more critical then the ram.

if you have one data link moving a lot of information at a high frequency, it will get hot, but if you have a lot of links moving less information you will be safe. perhaps bigger but simpler processors will work along with moving devices off the core(s). and you do not want to work through the chipset as a modern Intell.

I though of that to but if you make a bigger die then it takes longer for data to travel:). What a tangled web we weave.

True, but with a little thought, I'm sure they can work out the details. It will be interesting to see what will replace the silicone chip though.

I don't think they will be able to work out the details with silicon but with a new material. Just thinking of it, it's amazing how they can put like 200 million transistors on a CPU and get down to the point where electrons are so close they're affecting each other. Wouldn't something like a fiber optic CPU be cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom