Building a Gaming System. Need Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKid06

Baseband Member
Hello all,

I am working on choosing all the parts for my first build. I am trying to build a high end gaming system and so far I have only selected the PCU I want to use. Im going with the AMD Athlon 64 FX-60.
What I need help with is my selection of motherboard.

I plan on using the Radeon X1900XTX 512MB and was wondering is it worth Xfiring this card with another one and if so anyone have suggestions on a motherboard for that? Also, if its not worth doing what are some good brands of mobos that I can just install the card by itself?

Thanks for the help!

I heard DFI mobos were good boards for overclocking and I plan on overclocking my system whenever I get it built and from the reviews it seems like a good board other than it can be kind of picky with your hardware. Thanks for the mobo suggestion though!

I wouldnt bother with the crossfire yet, wait till they actually get a better mobo

The DFI UT NF4 ultra-D mobo is sweet and awesome, i own one myself :)

Dont get an FX-60 waste of money, its a bunch of junk, THATS WHAT OVERCLOCKING IS FOR :D :D :D

Anyways

DFI UT NF4 ultra/SLI
2GB's of ram most defintely
ATI X1900XT **Dont buy now, wait till the 7900's come out then the prices will drop :)
OCZ 600W powerstream :D the XT is one powerful card

You have any suggestions on a dif CPU that would be good for a high end gaming system?

Lol and by the time I finally figure out everything I want for the pc...the prices will have dropped. Im a total newb at this :-D Lol

X2 4400+
Opteron 165
Opteron 170

defintely DC, and 2MB cache :D, and good for overclocking :D

get the opteron 165 or 170 they r like crazzy oc'ers going to 2.8 -2.9 usually, and if u get a bad one it'll at least go to 2.6 which is the FX-60 so win-win anyway

Great Great! Thanks for the help guys. Sounding like a newb here but I was lookin at the specs on the mobos and what exactly are the PCI Express x16, PCI Express x1, PCI Slots for? Video cards and anything else?

Haha, you are going to speed that much money but you don't know what a PCI slot is? X16 is for video cards, pci ca be for audio, usb expansion, fire wire expansion, anythign expansion, dont get them confused though.

PCI-Express x16 is for the GPU, so the X1900XT Slots nicely in there.

get the Opteron 165, they OC to similiar OC'd speeds as the 170.

dont get SLI or crossfire, UNless you want to run at resolutions like 1900x1600, which i doubt.

SLI (Nvidia) and Crossfire (ATI) Are where you run 2 GPU's in parrallel giving you "Double" ;) performance.

So just stick with a Single X1900XT and you'll be a happy camper.

Next get a 2x 1GB Kit of RAM. Like G.skill DDR500.

Ultra-D by DFI is fantastic, tho i havent got to try mine out yet cos the rest of my components havent arrived yet due to crap shipping.

Aint that right PZERO ;)

So anyway, thats the basic breakdown of what you should get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom