Automatic Hardware detection - going psycho?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panther

Baseband Member
Alright, I am fresh off of an install for windows xp pro on a new computer for a customer and I am stumped on the following pair of problems...

Specs:
ASUS A8N-E SKT 939 mobo
A64 X2 3800+
2 gigs of ram
80gb sata WD hdd
cd-rw drive
blah blah blah

Ok, after I get into windows for the first time, I am swamped by the standard 52,000 messages saying new hardware has been found blah blah blah...

I promptly install the motherboard chipset/integrated drivers, restart, install video card drivers, restart, all the way until all of the drivers are installed.

Now, during this entire time I always click 'cancel' when windows wants to search for drivers on the net, or install drivers of any kind. After all of the drivers are installed, I still get two hardware detection notices for my HARD DRIVE(?!) and my cd-rw drive of all freaking things...

After installing the final set of drivers, I see these two messages pop up, and I let windows install the drivers thinking that its some stupid fluke.

After running through the hardware detection series, windows can find no drivers for the hard drive and my cd-rw drive (and if u didnt see that comming...).

So, anywho, I restart yet again, get through posting, and right before it gets to the loading screen for windows xp, the whole thing resets back to bios, itll do this over and over again if i choose 'boot normally' or any of the safe mode options.

If i revert to the last settings that worked, the system boots into windows and im presented with the two hardware detected screens again.

In short;

If i allow the hardware detection screens to fully move ahead my cd-rw drive becomes unaccessable in windows (doesnt show up anywhere).

My hard drive would seem fine, but every restart without fail would result in me being forced back to the previous config that worked so that I could boot.

If i dont allow the hardware detection screens to run by clicking cancel, ill see my cd-rw drive, and the system wont go into an endless loop of restarting.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? FUBAR o/s install? Chipset drivers a bit glitchy?

I would be most thankful for any help that anyone could give me.

oh also, my sata hdd is showing up on the primary ata channel in the device manager, same as the cd-rw drive... irq settings by chance, or something of the sort?

did you install the sata floppy driver with the f6 option when you installed xp?

hmmm, there was a problem with the sata floppy i made... perhaps ill need to reformat :-/ ah well, might as well try it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom