Temperature in me puter

Status
Not open for further replies.

hygor

Daemon Poster
Right I am not overclocking or anything... but i was just looking on Aida and saw the following:-

Temperatures
Motherboard 38 °C (100 °F)
CPU 68 °C (154 °F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 4754 RPM

I am running an Athlon XP 1900+ and the CPU temp seems very high to me... I pretty much leave my puter on 24/7 and am worried that I may kill it if this carries on!

Is the CPU temp normal or shall I buy a better heatsink/fan tomorrow?

What should I be aiming for temp wise?

If your temp is actually 69C on the CPU you gotta get that sucker DOWN.
I suppose you can run it at that, but it's not healthy at all. Should keep it at or below 50C.

I think this could be b'coz of dust accumalation on the fan n' HS ... why don't ya clean up the fan n' HS ... maybe apply a new layer of artic silver ... n' then check the temps ..once again ...

If it still doesn't lower the temps ..then i would suggest going in for a new HS

My computer runs at ~44 degrees C idle and at 49 degrees after running 15 hours of Prime95.
You might want to check your heatsink. See if its fastened down good. Also check into using some Artic silver thermal paste. 68 degrees is way too hot, you're going to shorten the life of the processor.

AMD 2500+ (not overclocked)
ASUS A7N8X-X
Corsair 512Mb RAM PC 3200
Siluro FX 5200 Video Card (soon to be ATI Radeon 9800XT!)
Sony DVD+- RW/ CD-RW
Western Digital 40Gig HD

I checked the bios... same reading... checked mobo monitor... same reading... oh did i mention that this was my idling temp!!!

i also noticed that the fan on the heatsink was fluctuating rather erratically in its RPM count... so I guess it isnt efficient any more... so I thought sod it and have just bought a nice new heatsink and fan! I turned my puter off for the first time in 2 months this morning and will install the new HS when i get home!

Cheers for the advice!

I recently cleaned my HS and Fan and drematically reduced the temp. I, like you, had wierd things happening with my fan but after I cleaned it it all works perfectly.

my new fan is spinnin over 1000rpm faster and has reduced my CPU temp by almost 20c ... i am now pimpin at the mid 50s level with a lot of apps open!

cheers for the advice guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom