Drive letters

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.Arbib

In Runtime
I have two drives "C" and "D" on my computer, both with fully updated XPpro/SP2

1, From primary drive "C" in "My Computer" the secondary drive is
correctly identified as "D" with CD at "F" and DVD at "E"

2. From secondary drive in "My Computer" it is self-identfied as "F" whth primary drive still at "C"

I have tried in "D" both in computer/disk management and also in "Command" to change the letter back to "D" (which is un-assigned) but get the message "Diskpart cannot re-assign the drive letter on a system, boot or pagefile volume.

Can someone explain why this is happening and what to do about it, please?

I don't know, may-be i'm not reading this whole post correctly, but i'm not understanding it at all.

When you say, "I have two drives - do you mean - I have two physical hard drives in my machine one is "C" and one is "D" -OR- do you mean you have one hard drive and Two virtual drives or partitions one "C" and one "D".

OR are you saying you have (2) Physical Hard Drives in your machine and Both have a seperate installation of windows on each drive.

Also what kind of PC is it? Specs... etc...

If you have any of the things on the disk you mentioned (from windows), you can not change the drive letter.

turtile said:
If you have any of the things on the disk you mentioned (from windows), you can not change the drive letter.

I have two physical drives. From "C" drive everything is normal
but from "D" drive (used by my daughter) the drive is identified as "F" and cannot be changed.

What is the explanation why it is correct from one drive and incorrect from another,

To turtle

what do you mean "any of the things"?

System: A8N-SLI motherboard, BIOS version 1016.001 4200+ CPU, twin 7800GT video, 2GB PC3200 RAM/ Audigy 2ZS patinum Audio and two 200 GB Matrox SATA drives.

ok. You have 2 harddrives. I'm assuming that you only have 1 operating system installed. I'm also assuming that you are using "Windows" Which you should always specifiy when you are asking for help. And if you're using windows then I'm assuming that you are using "Windows User Accounts"

If you are using windows user accounts her user account that is showing drive: C & Drive F would need to have administrative rights in the admin group in order to change a drive letter.

I'm assuming that both of these HD's have only one partition on them each? C: being your primary partition and D: or F: is a mapping to the second HD. It doesn't really matter what letter is assigned. I'm not sure why you care?

Quite right, Single partition on both. Of course it does't matter that much except that it leads to confusion as F: is the CD on drive "C" and "G" (or as it was "D" until I cleared it) on secondary drive.

The question is why are the letters correct on default or primary drive and peculiary incorrect on the slave or secondary drive.

Understood that this may mean that the auto-update of XPpro must be switched off -is that so?

Can you answer the question I posed above, please.

Make sure your hard drives are in the primary port and the optical drives are in the secondary.

Post exactly what you have (like sata, amount of ports, setup,ide,eide)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom