Put a celeron processor where a PIII was?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hercules_upw

Daemon Poster
I recently acquired an older computer with a pentium III, 650 MHz, processor. I would like to upgrade the processor with an Intel Celeron processor @ 1.3GHz. The CPU socket is the same on the motherboard (socket 370). I wanted to know if this was possible or if i'm just dreaming. :confused:

Hi there, and welcome to the boards. This is the wrong forum really, the Hardware Forum might have been better, but one of the mods will move it I am sure. As for your query, could you give a bit more information about the motherboard, like make and model, then we can make a better attempt at an answer.

I posted this question on one other forum, this is the result:

Question:
I recently acquired an older computer with a Pentium III, 650MHz, processor in it. Iwould like to put an Intel Celeron 1.3GHz i it's place. The CPU socket is the same (socket 370). I was wondering if this was possible or am I just dreaming?
The "older computer" is an HP Pavillion 6330, i think.

Reply from "powerarmor":
You need to check whether the board can run Tualatin CPU's, as they run on a different voltage, sometimes a bios flash will work, but even if the board dosent support Tualatin CPU's, you can use a powerleap adaptor if you can find one.

Question:
what is a power leap adapter?

Reply from "powerarmor": http://www.powerleap.com/PL-370T.html

From Herc: Thanks for your help. I have decided to stick with the PIII. If i'm going to take the time to work on a computer, its going to be an upgrade not a rescue job. Thanks again.

:) :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom