AM2 to wait or not to wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm I'm trying to decide if I should make my system a s939 opteron or wait for AM2... I'm thinking of getting a s939 and then buying a cheap stable sAM2 board or 2 and some Semprons and using sAM2 as a renderfarm platform... that way I can upgrade the cpus when better ones get cheaper... is that a sound idea? Also, I'm getting my money for my s939 comp very soon... exactly how much could I save by waiting for sAM2 to come out? Would it be worth dealing with this sempron as my main comp for a long time?

That's why I'm hoping by the time I'm ready to upgrade approximately sometime in 2008 I can get me atleast a dual core system, if not quad core and hopefully AMD will be using the XDR or DDR3 memory.....however I haven't taken a look at their road map for a while so I don't even know where they'll be in 2008.

I like to game and all, but these days I'm wanting a computer that can handle a bunch of tasks more so than gaming.

I need to start putting some cash away into a computer fund though so by the time 2008 comes I'll have a stock pile of money to go ahead and get a really good setup going

I'm doing something similar. Now that I have a job (work at a local Diedrich's) I put $100/$440 every month into a seperate savings account for my next PC. I have like $640 already so by the the time I have to buy a new PC, I'll have a nice sum to spend.

I guess it depends when you actually plan to upgrade. most of the things out there now will do you justice (even in the gaming department) for a fair amount of time.

Sure DDR3 and XDR!

Two problems:

1.) As of now neither AMD or Intel are showing signs of including DDR3 or XDR support for any CPU this year, and next year isn't looking that grand either.

2.) It's going to be expensive.

We really don't have an option ... we will have to use DDR2 now with AMD's future CPUs. At least some intel motherboards for socket LGA 775 allow you to use DDR.

Sure you can stick with Socket 939 and use DDR, but AMD won't release new CPU designs for Socket 939 after the end of this year.

AMD has actually been aggravating lately, with their switch to DDR2 and small performance jumps.

Intel's offerings look a lot more promising.

My main tone here is that DDR2 support is all we got for Socket AM2, like it or not.

CPU this year, and next year isn't looking that grand either.
that's fine and dandy since we weren't talking this year, nor next near, but rather sometime in 2008.

2011 or 2012 for me I wonder what the future holds. Perhaps after the release of Windows Blackcomb.

My main tone here is that DDR2 support is all we got for Socket AM2, like it or not.
Not really, AMD is going to a 65nm process, I believe in H1 2007 which with other core changes at that time should improve IPC and allow higher scaling.

I would bet that after this move by AMD it will put them at least back on par with Conroe, if not ahead.

Then Conroe switch's to 45nm and it goes round and round ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom