asus motherboard and serial ata

Status
Not open for further replies.

kramerP

Solid State Member
i am building a computer and the motherboard on the computer is an ASUS A8N-VM CSM here and I am using a WD serial ata150 200GB hd here . My question is that in the manual for the motherboard it indicates that windows 2000SP4 or windows xp sp1 should be installed before using serial ata but as of right now obviously there is nothing installed so is it going to be an issue having a serial ata hd plugged in when the computer is booted up for first time? If so, can you explain why this is the case - what difference is there between sata and pata that disallows sata from being installed before win2000 or winXP is installed?

thanks,
kp

It probably just means that the min. requirments for an OS to support sata is 2000SP4 or XPSP1.

If the motherboard supports sata, which it does, then I don't see why it wouldn't see the hard drive. Only one way to find out. ;)

You might need to extract a file from the CD of drivers it comes with to install windows. After you boot off the CD the first ting that comes up should be to install a raid driver blah blah blah press F6. I had to do that with an old Athlon XP and an ASUS motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom