College Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sevoma

Daemon Poster
My sister is a senior right now and is going to be attending college. She has a POS computer running linux, and needs an upgrade for college. The budget is kind of tight -about 500 dollars (can go more if absolutley nesessary). Here are the requirements:

Must include a lcd monitor or thin crt (think: small college dorm)
A small case with good cooling (needs to be silent)
Computer needs to be upgrade able
Needs to be compatable with linux

I have already looked but could not make a decent configuration that was cheap. I am looking to you guys for help.

Thanks, Sevoma.

That's not quite enough, ESPECIALLY with the LCD requirement. She may just have to buck up and get a CRT. I have on on my dorm desk.

Ryan

It doesn't need to be anything extreme. Just something ugradeable that can do stuff.

idk, that might sound like a possible DELL situation.. i saw a commercial for a computer for 500.. 15" LCD monitor.. pentium 4.. prob 256mb of memory.. and at least a 40gig harddrive... put another stick of 256mb which cost about 40 bucks on newegg.com and that computer will be mor ethen enough for a college computer.

EDIT: after looking on dell... its 600- but you get a 100 dollar mail in rebate, so its 500, its p4 2.8ghz, 256 memory, 80gig(7200rpm) hdd, free printer, 15" LCD, CD burner/DVD rom drive, keyboard, mouse, operating system, just no speakers, which she could get some for 10 bucks.. in my opinion this is a sweat f'n deal for a college computer.

The thing that hurts though is the memory. If you go Dell, a computer with 512mb of ram clears the $500 mark. 256 isn't a moral decision. :)

Ryan

Well, Dell uses proprietary equipment on their machines. You have to buy the new stick of ram through them because they have thier own voltages.

Ryan

256mb of RAM might be good enough for a older version of Linux. Remember, 256 on W XP is terrible.

If your budget is below $600, using Dell is usually a better idea (although I hate to say it). Especially since you need external hardware and the LCD too.

I have looked at them and configured a decent system for 625 shipped with 17"lcd. It has a P4 630 3.0GHz 64bit cpu, 512mb DDR2 533mhz, 80gb hdd, dvd burner, and integrated graphics. It sounds ok but if you open the case it voids your waranty... If course, It is only a year and running linux 512mb will be more than enough :)

FghtinIrshNvrDi, Dell is not completely propriety anymore. They use standard (but cheap) parts for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom