MAJOR Windows Installation Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitevision88

Baseband Member
Help me out here guys -

Major issues installing Windows XP on this computer I'm building for some people. I'm running a MSI Neo K8N-4F mobo, Athlon 64 X2 3800+, SAPPHIRE 100129L Radeon X800GTO 256MB, a ddr333 512 stick, and a ddr400 512 stick - 1 gig of ram (in the green slots on the mobo), 7200rpm harddrive.

Originally I was using their old harddrive to install windows on, it had some error that mandated a total formatting of it. That didn't work - Windows STILL did not install - it would get to the installation part where it's installing "programs" in the windows install-interface, and then crap out. So they took it to Circuit City and the people there put in a new harddrive, tried like 5 windows discs - no dice. Windows XP does NOT install.

Is there a trick to this at all? I've built computers in the past, but this is the damndest thing, the people at CC are stumped, as am I. Any insight on this? Does this mobo have BIOS **** that needs to be messed with in order to make it work right? What am I doing wrong?

Run memtest86

I'd like to see how well those ram sticks are working together.

I just got word that apparently this X2 stuff is "too new" for Windows XP.. and it only works on Windows XP Pro x64... but I hear that's a living breathing peice of crap with no drivers.. any comments? Do you guys think this is legit, or is the IT guy that told me this misinformed...?

I dont know for sure but it doesnt sound right to me, XP pro does support 2 CPUs...

Honestly I don't know, new hardware is a bit of a blind spot of mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom