Newly Built Comp Won't Boot Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
funny i get millions of results in google telling me to build my pc on a static bag :O. oh and by the way just to prove the point to myself i whipped out my multimeter and tried to take a resistance reading of a bag. i didn't get a reading at all which would mean that there is no current flowing from probe to probe for the meter to calculate a reading. therefore it is not conductive. sorry if i come off sounding like a an arrogrant (explitive deleted) but this method has never failed me and half the members on this forum swear by it. i'm not trying to insult you i'm just trying to teach you. think about it, why would they make the bags conductive? defeats the prupose of having them in the first place because you would fry the board just by lifting the bag out of the box

edit: sorry you're right they do conduct electricity. that is how they work, any charge is conducted through the bag rather than the board hence protecting it from static. now i'm a little confused too. it is still safe to put the motherboard on a static bag.

nitestick said:
edit: sorry you're right they do conduct electricity. that is how they work, any charge is conducted through the bag rather than the board hence protecting it from static. now i'm a little confused too. it is still safe to put the motherboard on a static bag.
Ha, so I was atleast half right.

I can't honestly say that I've ever tried to power on a motherboard while it was on an anti-static bag but I had read that it would possibly damage the motherboard if you do it. Come to think of it the material I read this information from was written in like 1998 so maybe they've changed the way these bags are made since then or maybe it was just BS I don't know, but if you've acually used a mobo on a static bag then I guess it is ok....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom