DVD burner don't read discs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smartech

In Runtime
Hi. few days ago I got a present - new DVD burner "LG Internal 16x Super Multi" model GSA-4167B. It says it supports aplenty of formats, but...
I inserted a DVD and it dosen't read it, drive make sounds that it's searching the track, but it continues for a couple of minutes, it stops doing it but the disk remains unrecognized. I tryed a couple of DVDs to make sure it isn't the broken disk.
It also happent to some CDs, some he read, some didn't. It did succeed to burn CD-RW however.
The drive connected to the secondary IDE channel as Slave (another hard drive is Master there), primary IDE also has HD master and CD burner slave.

So, any ideas how to make this thing read DVDs?
-Thanks in advance.

P.S. System specifications are in sig, except the outdated info regarding hard drives and opticad drives info, which I mentioned above.

Sounds like a faulty drive.

One other thing, you should have both hard drives on the same channel as master/slave and both optical drives on the other channel.
The reason for this is if your optical drive is running (for example) ATA33 and your hard drive is ATA133, the optical drive will cause the whole channel to run at ATA33 including the hard drive!!

Sadly, but it seems to be faulty. At least I have no idea left what can be the problem if the drive is OK.

MrCoffe, nice point about IDE channels! when I set hard drives one for every channel, the idea was that because only one device per channel can be active, so scince most of time optical devices are idle, attaching them as slaves to each drive will increase overall hard drives performance since they will be active most of time. But I forgot that the channels speeds are determined by the slowest device.
I'll reconfigure and fix it soon.

****, people!!!
I just wanted to make sure the drive is faulty before going to store to change it, so I conneted it on my friend's comp (new comp, 1/2 year old). And it worked perfectly!!!

I know my PC is crap, but is it any possible thing to do to make it work on it? Maby different DMA mode? Anything else? If anyone know if the DVD drive have special demands to hardware, or any advice about it, please tell.

I'm waiting to upgade the comp for a long time, but it's not gonna happen in the at least nearest 6 months, so I have to dael with it somehow.

something else it could be, although somewhat unlikely...

right click on my computer go to;

properties-->hardware tab-->device manager-->dvd/cd-rom drives/select your drive

after you select your drive, right click on it and go to properties

then go to dvd region and make sure that is set to whatever country you are living in... click ok exit device manager and then try another dvd.

power supply. a dvd burner in full swing can suck up near to 50w i think. see what you can ditch in your pc to save some power to see if it will work or try a new psu if possible. also try setting the hdd and burner on the secondary IDE to cable select. occasionally some drives have compatability issues in my experience and only cable select will work

Well, I tryed setting it Master, Slave, Cabel Select, Primary channel, Secondary - nothing.

Power supply idea sounds good, I have old unknown PS, with many devices and extra fans, but I disconnected all other IDEs (2 har discs and CD writer) and also 2 biggest extra fans - but again, no change.

Since I tryed to boot from CD (properly configured) while HDs were disconnected (results as usual - seek, but can't read disk), it also eliminates the "Try reformatting" solution.

I'm telling you, one day, when I will not need this comp any more I will smash it with large hammer!

Well if its not hardware then logically it must be software, either the driver is corrupt or there is a driver filter put there by a third party application thats causing problems.

Try replacing the drivers with ones from the CD, or atleast run an MD5 check sum to ensure they're the same.
Also go into device manager > properties (of your dvd) > details and look at the filters...
Report back what filters you have, if any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom