motherboard limiting OC

Status
Not open for further replies.

molsen

Do work.
I guess it's pretty safe to say my motherboard (listed in sig) is holding back my OC, right? The CPU can run at 2.8GHz @ 1.55v, but I can't always keep it stable above 2.6GHz.

The reason I ask is because I'm building a new case and since I have to tear everything out anyways, I might as well put in a better motherboard and maybe some DDR550 RAM.

I will also be getting a new power supply, because I have had instances that make me think it's a little unstable.

Anyways, reviews I've read of my current motherboard:

"We've seen some pretty high results with our AMD Athlon 64 3000+. The specific chip used in this review, has hit 270MHz with the OEM cooler on another nForce4 board. We didn't get quite that high with the Foxconn NF4K8AC board but we did find a ceiling of 247MHz after bumping up the voltage more than a wee bit." --Overclocker Cafe

" We started out the overclocking at 200 MHz, raised the motherboard clock speed in 5 MHz intervals. The first few attempts went smoothly enough, and then promptly cut out at 216 MHz....Attempts to push the NF4K8AC-8EKRS faster than that created BSOD issues while booting Windows, so it overclocking is certainly not one of the hallmarks of this board. We even tried adjusting the memory timings and system voltages, but to no avail." --PC Stats

So if I get a better motherboard that's designed for overclocking, I should see better OC results, right?

ASUS A8N5X Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard

FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX450-PN, 12cm FAN, version 2.0, 2 SATA, PCI Express, 450W Power Supply

mushkin XP4400 Dual Pack 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 550 (PC 4400) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory

Would these be worthy upgrades? Worth $315?

are you mostly a gamer? If so it depends on your video card, going from above 2.4 with a 6600gt won't do much good for example, processor is not the bottleneck in most games is usually the video card. If you have a 7800gt or better then I think overclocking the cpu would be very beneficial for games. In other words, you could oc it to 10ghz but if you don't have a high end video card, whats the point?

DFI LanParty UT nF4 Ultra-D, the new AD0 revisions of them are even better than the old ones (more stable voltage).

im not just a gamer. i like everything to be as fast and responsive as possible. DFI is a little expensive... but its certainly an option

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom