ready to overclock

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol ok ok sorry nitestick i'm just asking anyways. to compromise, lets just say the bottleneck effect is minimal.. is that ok?

if that were the case why would they bother selling higher clocked versions of the same processor.

well when they sell higher clocked processors they have higher multiplier values which means the FSB will remain the same as the RAM.

but why would you not overclock the processor further.

lol good point... since i conceded that the bottleneck effect is minimal, it would be a good idea.

thx for the help. its too late to overclock tonight.. its 1:30am now. i'll do it tomorrow afternoon when i'm not tired so i dont' screw anything up :D

good luck.

well when they sell higher clocked processors they have higher multiplier values which means the FSB will remain the same as the RAM.

i know you understand basically now but my point with saying that before was that the processors still perform a lot better at higher clock speeds despite the fact that the ram is running "slow" compared to if it were overclocked to that speed.

ok so i pretty much understand the concept, but some details i don't quite understand

Let's call all the working settings "setting X" (what I mean by that is all the overclocked settings that work, example stock voltages, FSB at 225MHz and RAM at 125MHz).

When the computer doesn't post turn off the power and press that little button beside the SATA ports, this resets the CMOS and brings all the changes back to stock speeds (this is why it's a good idea to have a pen and paper). Now you know how far your CPU can go on stock voltages. Reset everything the way it was when it last posted. Now we start raising the core voltage. Put everything back to "setting X" and raise it the core voltage .025V. Now keep on bumping up the FSB until it doesn't post again.

i don't understand why i'm reseting the cmos. can't i just up the voltage with the max fsb speed that i got? since i'm gonna put everything back to setting X anyways...

aliasaid said:
using a memory divider will cause the ram to be the bottleneck of the system, no? if the fsb and clockspeed were any higher it would be pointless, or at least i'm guessing, since the ram is involved in pretty much everything. doesn't seem like much of an advantage to use a mem divider... or plz correct me.B]

Don't worry, I thought the same thing also a while back but Garra put it in words that made me understand why it's not that big a bottleneck. He said something along the lines of: Take an FX-57, the HTT is still 200MHz and so is the ram but it can kick an Atlhon 3000 ***. It's the sheer CPU speed that makes up for it, lessening (not sure if that's a word but ohwell lol) the bottle neck.

aliasaid said:
i don't understand why i'm reseting the cmos. can't i just up the voltage with the max fsb speed that i got? since i'm gonna put everything back to setting X anyways...

Well I am talking about taking the CPU to the max. When you've found out how far the CPU can go on stock voltage the computer wont post. Here's an example: You take the FSB all the way in small increments to 225. It's still stable at this point. You try and take it up to 230 but the computer doesn't post. This is where you have to reset the CMOS.

Sorry for the double post, didn't see this.

lol ok, so i'm overclocking now...

but i can't seem to get the FSB higher than 206!!

even after i increased the voltage to 1.545

BTW!!! i'm not sure if i'm doing this right... when i increase the voltage... i can only increase by percentage points.. first it was 3.3%, then it was 6.6%. i didn't try 9.9% since thats in the red, hehe.

where it says "Extra CPU voltage" its either "by cpu VID", or increase percentage.. thats where i did that... and if i adjust cpu VID, highest it goes to is 1.45V

am i doing something wrong? do i need to increase voltage further? thx for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom