Can the psu effect fps? i cant find the answer

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsh

Baseband Member
Topic :D

I know that say if someone has a 360wat psu and is trying to run sli or a x1900 the computer would

not turn on, give errors, reboot or shutoff at times, etc. But can a psu effect fps in games but give no errors of any kind? If so any tests to run and check? Or does that not happen with a psu

not rich

should be a way to tell without paying money for something that I may or may not need

The only time a psu is effecting frames is if the video card isn't getting enough power. Download 3dmark05 and if your not getting the usual score of that certain card then it is either 1) You overclocked your GPU too much 2) Your GPU isn't getting enough power 3) Your card is overheating or 4) you got a bad card. In this case it would be that the video card isn't getting enough power, and I'm sure that a 360 watt PSU won't even have enough amps to run the thing correctly.

an unstable or underpowered PS will affect the entire system causing freezing and crashing. One of the keys to overclocking is to have a adequate PS. yes, you can loose frames due to instabillity.

Your card probably downclocked automatically. My 6800GS downclocked when I forgot to plug in the extra power. I was scoring just below that of my old X700, so I was freaking out. Stupid me.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom