Gigabyte MainBoards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares

In Runtime
Well guys (and gals if there are any), i think i might decided to go with a Gigabyte board over the Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe. I read all the reviews about it on newegg and well... i just don't feel very comfortable about it. It seems the board has a decent share of problems with sata/raid, the drivers being funky at times, bad technical support, and a few other things that i forget. I know all boards aren't perfect but... i just don't know.

I checked out the Gigabyte alternatives (checked out MSI and ABIT too) and i'm leaning towards the 7N400 Pro2 for my main machine, and the7VT600-L for the secondary machine. I just want stability and something that's gonna come with some decent instructions (this is my first real build). It seems just about everyone has had trouble setting up the asus board. Heck, some of them even sent 'em back.

Anyone here have anything to say about Gigabyte boards or Asus? I think we pretty much covered Asus in that other post i made a week or so ago. Somehow though, something just isn't settling right with me about 'em. I might still end up getting an ASUS for one of the other systems i'm building, but for the first 2 pc's i'm building... i think i'm gonna go Gigabyte (amd of course).

The ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe gave me a bit of trouble with the SATA drivers. Problem was this: I had 2 80GB SATA drives going into a clean system, brand new. The mobo needs a driver for SATA that they put.... on CD. All you need to do is get the driver from their website and put it on a bootable floppy which you can load during XP install (to specify driver locations).

No big deal. I love my ASUS.

Well I haven't really heard anything bad about Gigabyte, although Asus IS the #1 motherboard.

You should consider an Abit, they are also excellent.

the 7NN8X is very good, very easy to overclock with; a friend of mine really easily overclocked an Athlon XP 2500 to 3200.
also with its Dual BIOS you have some security to BIOS f..... umm, stuff up's

The Gigabyte 7N400 Pro 2 also has Dual BIOS, it saved my a** a week ago when a BIOS upgrade lost the Silicon image SATA drivers, and consequently, the boot HD.

I'm very happy with my 7NNXP ... Never gave me any problems ....

I didn't have any trouble with SATA or RAID too...
BUt i do agree that the Tech Support with gigabyte was quite bad ..to my experience.

From what i've read, the gig boards come with the best manuals, which is good for a beginner builder like myself.

The thing i liked about the 7n400 pro 2, besides the dual bios, raid and sata features, is that it also would let me use regular ide drives (i'm new to this whole sata thing), atleast i think that's what the specs mentioned. This way i could hook up plain ol hard drives to it, and a few months down the road, when i'm ready to jump into the sata/raid headache i can still do it.

One guy (in the newegg reviews) mentioned how it wasnt much different from the 7vt600-L.

What do i know though, i'm just jumping into this head-first!

AsusTech makes good video card (or at least used, I am not sure as we only seem to sell cheaper eagle tech or Lead Tech)
I could never say that i was impressed with the AsusTech montherboard.

I use Gigabyte for most of my machines at work, and i have been quite happy with the performance.

I resently sold the GA-7N400 Pro2 to my sister last month. And my comments are that is an excellent quality / value for money board.

DUAL BIOS is handy on any machine. I have Project : RESIDENT EVIL (with I am hoping to complete today) where I have a Gigabyte Board with a Dual Bios on it.
RESIDENT EVILis the virus cleaning machine at work. See of speakers on with with the Red Queen's Voice saying "You're all going to die down here" on boot up.

:D

As for the GA-7VT600-L, I use that board for all my standard machines, and i have yet to have a DOA or RMA on them. (Same with the GA-7N400 Pro2)

I read something about certain cpu fans not fitting well on the 7n400 Pro2. Can anyone suggest a good fan that WILL fit?

Thanks for your comments Silesia!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom