abnormal cpu usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRreed

In Runtime
hey guys,
here my prob after long periods of non use(like overnight) my cpu will be working @ 50%
normaly w/ nothing running, it should be under 5%
speed fan also shows ~10 degrees increase.
this topic is posted in buying, building, high performance pc's,
but i was told i would have alot better luck here.
this is the link to the other thread
http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95261

that may help more than just tring to copy & past into this thread.
!thanks alot for any help guys!
this is really getting me upset, and i dont want to have to keep shutting down every night ot prevent any problems that may come from such long periods over hard work.

i have alot of things runnning in startup, im going throught them now,
ill google what i dont know, but it may take some time.
ill check ccleaner out, but i think it will have to wait till tomorow
im going to bed, thanks for the help

C Cleaner is an excellent suggestion. I would also recommend that you run your anti-virus scanner and a anti-spyware scanner. The symptoms that you are describing are clasic of a computer that is chocked full of spyware. My computer has two anti-spyare scanners that are updated weekly and are run weekly and I have 1% usage of the CPU. Seems that spyware may be the cause of your problems.

As above mate, get ccleaner and run that first and see how it fairs after that, 1st time i used ccleaner it free up 250mb in about 40seconds! wow!.

Also do what jbc said with regards to spyware scans ect.

ok, sorry to bring this back up, but ive been busy w/ work so its taken some time to to google all the startup items, and run ccleaner.
i run virus scan usaly once a week, norton/ad aware/spybot.
and none of them have shown anything abnormal, a few tracking cookies, things like that, but nothing major
i really dont want to have to reformat, as ive never done it, and dont know if i have the proper disk to reinslat xp.
so anyother help would be great.
i did all of the above suggestions last night, and left it on.
got up this morning with the same ting: cpu 62% @ 60c.
temp is normaly around 50c.
thanks again guys
this is ****ing me off, and its a pain to shutdown everynight

What anti-virus software are you using and do you keep it running all the time? Norton, over the past month, has been having major memory leak issues. If you're running Norton, try turning it off at night (it has like 4000 processes, make sure none of them come up) and see if the problem persists.

hmmmm.
i am running norton, ill try that
that may work, because when i check it in the morning, there arent any processes that are runnning off the charts, but several are running much higher.
my norton 90 trial just ran up, whats the best free protection.
one w/ auto update would be great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom