Activation With OEM Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnms238

Solid State Member
Let me make this clear from the start: I am not interested in pirating Windows. I merely wish for clarification.

Now, some time ago (approx. four years), I purchased a Dimension desktop from Dell. That box has suffered extreme modification, but no longer has the OEM copy of Windows that came with it system installed. I just built a new system, and installed Windows on it using my old OEM disk. It didn't ask me for a serial number, but is now popping up with an activation window that won't accept the (apparently auto-inserted) serial number.

Now, my question is two-fold. Firstly, assuming that this new computer is the only machine that I've got this copy of Windows installed on, is it legal? To anyone's best knowledge, am I violating either Microsoft's or Dell's EULA's? Secondly, assuming it is legal, what do I do? It won't activate properly, and Dell's support system is archaic and confusing.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Okay your question are easy to answer.

No is the easiest thing to say. With the M$ agreement on Licenses you can not use the Dell OEM disn on your new machine. That serial was used with the Dell and therefor no longer valid with a new machine. That is why when you go to validate it wont work.

Plus with M$ just announcing not long ago that a new motherboard equals a new PC you cant call them and get a serial for the OEM.

So basically you have to buy a new copy of XP in order to get a serial that will activate. Either that or try calling M$ and see if they will give you a new serial.

Yea, i mean if you explain to microsoft your situation, and have proof you had a dell and all that stuff, im sure they would.

A couple years ago I got a new mobo and wanted to install XP home on it, the seriel wasnt valid when I tried to activate windows, so I claled M$ and they ended up giveing me a new one, it was nice.

But now i'm running XP pro, since I didnt wanna go through all that crap again with my new comp, i just bought it.

Thanks for your prompt replies. Before I run out to go and buy another copy of XP, I'm going to try calling Microsoft. Do you think that providing them with my Dell service tag would be enough proof that I'm legit?

Hey, while we're at it, any suggestions for a version of Linux I should put on the old Dell box? It's going to become a file server.

Well there are quite a few arguments over Linux. I havent found many but i hear Gentoo and Ubantu along with Fedora Core are great ones. But i dont know from personal experience.

I think you can give them the Dell Tag to prove your legit but they will most likely ask why you need a new serial. If you tell them you installed it on a new machine they will tell you that you have to purchase a new copy.

just tell them that your mobo no longer works and you purchase a new mobo and computer case, because the new mobo wouldn't fit in the old dell case

Whoa, I just noticed that there's another thread right below mine about the same thing. Sorry to waste your time, everyone. It's very kind of you to help a newbie like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom