Hard Drive Partitioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachner

Solid State Member
This will be my first build with multiple internal HD and RAID. I will be installing a 74gb Raptor and also two 250gb WD Sata 300 16mb in a RAID 1 config. Plan a single partition for the Raptor with OS and program files and the RAID for backup, archive, data, video and picture files. Now for the questions:

1. I have seen threads with people suggesting putting the OS swap/page file on a 2nd drive for speed. I was planning on leaving it with the OS since my second drive, the RAID 1, will be slower than a single drive when writing, especially compared to the Raptor. Also probably not needed since I will have 2gb of RAM. Overall good plan?

2. Was going to leave the Raptor as one partition and was going to partition the RAID into two partitions, maybe 100gb for backup/archive and the 150gb for everything else. Any comment or suggestions?

3. Since I'll be using XP Pro (32bit) for OS, should all drives be formatted using "dynamic storage" option? Will be using NTFS of coarse.

Well thanks for any and all input.

1. I'd keep the page file on the raptor drive.
2. That's personal preference, personally I wouldn't do it. I'm not a big fan of partioning any NTFS drive. I would rather just get another physical hard drive.
3. I never messed around with that option....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom