adding a 2nd hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

madbomber31

Solid State Member
i have just 20GB hard drive and want to add a second HD to store movies, music, etc...

i have a 10GB which could hold me over for a month or two, but when i put that one in the cpu does not boot.... obviously i'm doing something wrong, but what?

Make sure the 20GB one is set to "Master" and the 10GB one is set to "Slave".

also, this shouldnt matter but every motherboard is different.
Make sure the IDE cable is on the right spot too.. the Master slot on the IDE should be the one at the end and the slave is in the middle.
If this doesnt work, look on the top of your slave hdd and set the jumper to the slave setting. if your running them on two seperate ide cables, make sure the second ide channel on your mobo is enabled in the BIOS (press the delete key at boot up).

how do i know where to set the jumpers on the back of the 2nd drive? that hdd is 7 years old and i have no book for it...

in time, yes i'm going to get another HD, but for now i wanted to use my wife's old 10gb HD.. it's junk but it would hold me over for a month or two until i can get a 80 Plus GB. hers is one from an HP thats OLD.

Yeah, but what motherboard/cpu do you have, it'll probably say on the motherboard itself. Look for asus/abit/mfi/gigabyte/asrock/ something or other. From that we can determine, age, certain compatibilities.
Check, you're set to boot from the original drive you had in still, when your pc starts up, tap delete over and over until a blue screen comes up. Use the arrow keys, and enter, to find the boot priorities.
You'll have to find out also what model the hardrive is, and maybe someone may have it, or you could find online a diagram as to where the jumpers should be places for slave and master settings.
Also make sure you've plugged in the power and ide cables :p.

my mother board is a M7NCD Pro with the AMD processor that can overclock real well with it... i think it's the 1.4 GHZ one... i forget, anyway... i appreciate everyones replies, you all are very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom