Fx-55

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonCrafter

Daemon Poster
Ok guys. I wanna try my hand at OC'ing my FX-55. I've been so far as to open up the FSB area in BIOS, but I chickened out before I changed anything.

I don't plan to overclock much, but will I still need better than stock cooling to ensure my comp continues to run ok?

I figure I'll just slowly bump the clock up, maybe 2-3 notches at a time. Sound good?

That will be fine, up it like 3-4 mhz up eachtime. then restart and maybe run a few programs. if it runs fine, up the fsb a bit more until it isnt stable, then go back down. the only real risk is when you raise ur voltage, which you dont need to do right now. -charlie

Raise the HTT (FSB) by 5 MHz at a time if you want to be cautious. You could also raise the multipier for a more significant increase in GHz.

Download SuperPi and Prime95 to test the stability of your overclock. Use the 1M calculation in SuperPi for a sense of stability. If it fails that test, you know you either need to lower the clock or tweak some more settings.

A better heatsink/fan will keep your CPU cooler, which will allow you to get a little bit better overclock.

Try out overclocking by using the Multipliers. FX's have their Multi's unlocked and you could get some awesome speeds on it.

Wayne

Thanks for the help guys. I went ahead and bumped my FSB up to 203. I went from 2.61ghz to 2.64ghz. I'll keep bumping.

While Im at it, what program can I download to keep any eye on my temps? I tried Motherboard Monitor, but it didnt list my mobo and wouldnt work.

TonCrafter said:
Thanks for the help guys. I went ahead and bumped my FSB up to 203. I went from 2.61ghz to 2.64ghz. I'll keep bumping.

While Im at it, what program can I download to keep any eye on my temps? I tried Motherboard Monitor, but it didnt list my mobo and wouldnt work.

Everest should work.

Well, She's up to 2.65 now. I ran 3dmark05 and all was good. I checked my CPU temp right after running it and it said 68 degrees. My cut off is 75. Is 75 to low of a cut off temp? What kind of temps should I be looking to get? I wanna keep overclocking as far as I can with stock cooling.

if thast is 67 celcius then i think you need to get better cooling. If it is farenheight then you have amazing cooling and keep gogin

nitestick said:
why am i the only person who thinks the same as wayne!?!? you have a phenomenally expensive cpu, the main reason being because of the unlocked multiplier. take advantage of it man!!!

Oh, I fullly intend to OC there as well. :) By doing that I'll still have to upgrade my cooling, correct?

I looked at newegg, but was unsure what Thermaltake cooler would be good for me. Any suggestions?

I found this one...... Thermaltakehttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835106038

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom