Amd 2600+ 266 or 333MHZ BUS ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
no it wont slow it down. your ram will still run at 400Mhz while your CPU runs at 333Mhz. i think you should go ahead and get the fastest memory your motherboard can handle which in your case is (DDR400)PC3200 ram. yes it is better to synch them, but not necessary.

MasterJason said:
So if i put DDR 400 ram it will slow down to 333mhz because of the 333mhz CPU?

Hmmm. I think i have this straight now. I just asked a few of ya privately about this... thanks for the help.

Basically, i'm limited by what the fsb of the mainboard is. If i've got a mainboard that operates at max 400fsb, i can toss in a chip that's operating at 266fsb and a memory module that's 333 with no problems. The same would be true if i had a processor that was going at 333fsb and i stuck a memory module that operated at 266 (although, as some of you say, i'd have bottlenecking).

Yeah I have a stick of PC2100 and a stick of PC2700 in my mobo right now. The PC2700 just runs at PC2100 speed.

can you overclock/underclock the RAM?
if you got a 333MHZ FSB CPU and 400MHZ RAM you might want to overclock the CPU to a 400MHZ FSB, I have a friend who did that quite easily, and his CPU is far from crapped up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom