How to transfer files from old comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffK91

In Runtime
Hi, I was wondering how do I transfer the files on my old computer to this new one? I've tried using the Files Wizard Transfer that came with Windows but it was thoroughly frustrating and just couldn't get it to work.

I pretty much just want to import my music files to this computer and some videos.

Take the hard drive(s) from your old computer and put them into your new one...............
Just copy, and paste. If you dont care about your old pc, you can leave the drive(s) in your new one without copying over. Otherwise, you can put them back and everything should work. Networking is another idea....but it may be tricky getting 2 pcs from different eras to talk to one another.....

Wait so I have to take out the hard drive on my old comp to this one? That'll be hard or even impossible without smashing the computer with a hammer because I recently found out that it just won't open. The screw is not connected to anything inside and no matter how much force I use, it just won't open.

Do you think you can tell me how to do the networking thing? They're not neccesarily from 2 different worlds lol I bought the Compaq at Best Buy about 1 1/2 year ago and they're both connected to the home router. specs are

AMD Athlon XP 3200+ 2.2ghz
512mb ddrsd
geforce 5500 256mb
200gig hd
windows xp home sp2

All excelent ideas, all will work. Another way to do this is to make use of migration software such as PC Relocator and PC Relocator Ultra Control which will migrate not only the software and the data files, but will also migrate the software support files.

run the network setup wizard with both computer on (have internet and router on too), on both computers.

if both computers are xp, you are fine. if one is an older version of windows, choose create floppy at the end of network setup.

JeffK91 said:
this is windows xp pro and the other is home, does that matter at all?

change it so that they both have the same workgroup name.

xp pro's default is workgroup

home's is mshome.

then it's just a matter of right clicking and sharing folders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom