Computer fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

purplepots

Baseband Member
I'm trying to quiet down my computer and need some advice...
The sources of noise come from my Thermaltake Xaser II 5000C five case fans, a stock intel cpu fan, 2 fans in my Thermaltake 420W Silent Purepower psu, and a Sapphire Radeon 9800 fan.

So, my first question would be: In what order would each item rank from loudest to softest?

I am considering replacing the following parts:
case & psu fans -------> Vantec stealth case fans
cpu HSF------------------> Zalman CNPS7000A-ALCU
radeon 9800 fan-------> Zalman ZM80C-HP VGA cooler
Which of these replacements would make the most difference (I can't buy them all... budgets a little low :confused: )?

Thanks in advance... any help would be appreciated.:D

Hmm, im thinking that the graphics card wont be a problem and the Heat sink fan, if it is like mine will be noisy, bu the case fans are what are going to get you, i dont have any and i am suffering cause my pc is too hot (i need to get some) but if i were you i would keep them in.

I got 7 case fans that are Thermaltake 80mm Silent Fans. These run at 21 dba and it makes my case ultra quite. It's awesome. It's a lot quieter than you think, in fact, it's altogether quieter than my dad's cpu fan alone.

I have found that xoxide.com has the quitest, best case fans around. Their quad LED fans (if you get the right ones) have an aluminum frame, bright LED lights, and run about 20.8 dba. If I put my ear up to the fan all I hear is airflow, the fan itself is silent.

What I would do is look up the models of your fans on the net and see if you can finda dba rating. If they are over 30 dba they will be noticeable, and 40-60 is pretty darn loud.

ok well then i want someone to recommend some fans to me because i dont have anything in my pc (no case fans) and im running a 2500+ and heat seems to like it.

GameGURU said:
Hmm, im thinking that the graphics card wont be a problem and the Heat sink fan, if it is like mine will be noisy, bu the case fans are what are going to get you, i dont have any and i am suffering cause my pc is too hot (i need to get some) but if i were you i would keep them in.

I guess I should focus on changing my powersupply fans to vantec stealth and replacing my cpu HSF to zalman cnps7000 then?

I think most of the sound I have is from the air flow of the fans with a little bit of the whining of fans in it. Not sure how to fix that.
I have my case fans hooked up to a fan controller but the combined airflow still makes a distinct whooshing sound. Also the powersupply moves a lot of air and contributes to that noise. I believe the whine is from the cpu...

i would change the psu, but i would take a look at the CPU fan cause mine is really noisy, if you have a non stock fan it will probobly be noisy. you can change the speed of the fan as well, it might not do you much good when gaming or whatever but its an option.

GameGURU said:
i would change the psu,...

Change the psu as in just the fans or the whole unit? Those things cost quite a bit.

Originally posted by GameGURU
... but i would take a look at the CPU fan cause mine is really noisy, if you have a non stock fan it will probobly be noisy. you can change the speed of the fan as well, it might not do you much good when gaming or whatever but its an option.

So, does that mean that stock cpu fan is quieter? How does stock compare to the zalman HSF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom