Windows Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

selina

In Runtime
Most of the PCs are work are IBM so I thought this was only problem with IBM. But guess not.
We purchased 2 brand new HP NX 9600 laptop and we are having the same problems.
The PC/laptop comes with Win xp, SP2. When trying to download Symantec AntiVitus V.10, it just doesn't. From there on, Windows isntaller doesn't work, Start>Search doesn't work, My Network Palces > Properties gives me blank windows (even tho it's connected to network)
I dont' see too many people complaining about this. So I figured there must be a way around this. Please help.

thx
selina

I found another symptom:
I can't access to windows updates anymore. It just doesn't do anything...

If you all use SUS or WSUS you get your updates from that server which will be deployed when the updates are approved.

OK.
I found another way of getting this problem.
This brand new HP nx9600 with Win XP pro SP2 with Norton 2005.
This is what I did:
1. uninstall Norton antivirus 2005 and reboot
2. install Symantec AntiVirus v.10.0.2 and reboot (so that it'll be easier to manage remotely)
3. run windows update and installed
4. install MS office 2003 and run update and reboot

it was fine til here.... and then the IT director took it over and he burned the image using Acronis True Imagen and left it over night. When he came back this morning, the symptoms started appearing. They include:
- Start > Search doesn't do anything
- Network Connetion is empty
- Windows Installer is not found (so we can't install/uninstall anything)
- Start > Windows Update doesn't do anything

As soon as HD Image was burned with Acronis True Image, this started happening. I'm not familiar with true image but I was told that it doen't do anything to the OS or HD by burning the image...? If this is true, what's causing the problems?

In search of resolution for my problems, I found this post from another site:
On the affected workstation:
1) Go to Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools.
2) Run “Local Security Policy”.
3) Go to Security Settings -> Local Policies -> User Rights Assignments.
4) Double click on “Create global objects”. The correct default settings are “Administrators”, “INTERACTIVE”, and “SERVICE”.
5) Double click on ''Impersonate a client after authentication''. The correct default settings are “Administrators”, “ASPNET” (if you have the .NET Framework installed) and “SERVICE”.
Even if the settings are set correctly, you may need to “refresh” them to fix the problem. To do this, on each policy, remove one of the entries (“SERVICE” is probably the best to remove), then press OK to save the changes, and then go back in and add it back in again (click “Add User or Group...”, type “SERVICE” into the white box, and press OK). Then close the Local Security Settings box and reboot. If you are running in a domain with Group Policy, you might want to force a group policy refresh before you reboot by running “gpupdate /force”.

Now the problem is that it's not letting me change Local Security Settings for "Impersonate a client after authentication". I see the setting is not correct according to this post but I can't change it. Anyone has any idea????

Warez Monster said:
If you all use SUS or WSUS you get your updates from that server which will be deployed when the updates are approved.

this can be overridden by browsing to windowupdate website

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom