AMD And Intel

Status
Not open for further replies.

john3

Banned
I have a question thats kinda confusing me.

How can AMD be good at running Games and not wrong programs as well as Intel? dont games usually demand more power than programs?
So if AMD can satisfy a game, how come it cant easily satisfy a program like photoshop?

Different processors are built for different purposes. The hardware itself can be designed to be "better" at some tasks than others. For example, you can buy special processors than are amazing at doing cryptography that will pwn any Intel/AMD processor in the market.

It's a design issue really. The management decides the requirements and sends the techie staff to design it.

But i dont understand how that works, a program is clearly demading less power than a game, so how can a Processor that can run a thing as powerful as a game and yet not be able to run something as simple as a program?

john3 said:
But i dont understand how that works, a program is clearly demading less power than a game, so how can a Processor that can run a thing as powerful as a game and yet not be able to run something as simple as a program?

A game IS a program as well.

And "programs" (that are not games) are not necessarily not less demanding than games. I've run many s/w that are 10x more demanding than games on the processor.

In order to describe "how" two processors are different from each other and how it effects performance between different types of applications needs some time.

But to give you a very simple example:
Encryption s/w would benefit more from integer processing power than floating point. And engineering calculations would need a lot of floating point power. Depending on where the resources are allocated, the CPU could be made to be better at one task than the other, or vice versa.

Many games are more graphics intensive than CPU intensive, so much of the load rests on the graphics card. Programs, such as encoding programs, are almost purely CPU. As nitestick said, AMD processors are better optimized for gaming because of the number of instructions per cycle.

k but, if i were to get AMD would i have problems running a program like Photoshop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom