AMD or Intel

Status
Not open for further replies.

cliffhucker

In Runtime
I have been researching for my new build and have been planning on AMD. Mostly because It's what I have now Athlon 800 (old) and I like it. But I know nothing else.

BUT, I am not a gamer.

Would you techs here at the forum still use AMD even if you were not gaming?

Or are most AMD users using it for other reasons as well?

I am looking at getting the Athlon64-3700 San Diego 939
But want to be sure that I should not be thinking about a P4???

I do alot of everthing (video,photos,music,browsing,word etc.)
but no gaming.

Temperature and noise are also high concerns. If that may make a difference.

Thanks

Well if you're concern is heat and noise, id go with the AMD. AMD's tend to run cooler. I mean my dual core 3800 thats OC'ed at 2.5 is running at no more then 43C under full load and 29-31 on idle. But thats with an aftermarket cooler.

Intels, as far as I know, are good for video encoding and whatnot. But if you dont wanna spend alot, want a good solid CPU that runs cool, ge the AMD.

AMD is better than Intel in most areas. since you're doing alot of application type of things get a x2 proc.

TheOtis,

That what I wanted to hear!

I have heard that AMD typically runs cooler. But have also heard it the other way (tho not as prevalent)

Solid and Cool is where I am at and I figure going with 3700-SD 939 and a ton of RAM, I'll be way faster than I am now!?

I am just trying to find a decent mobo that is 939, can support dual core later (when more affordable) and has onboard video.

There does not seem to be much out there (at least with good reviews) I am looking at this one but not liking some of the reviews??

http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustR...=N82E16813131570&SortField=0&Pagesize=&Page=2

I wonder if I should get a MOBO without onboard video and get a card? More $, More Power, More heat????
But more choices in good MOBO's??

Thanks all

if you are WATCHING videos, and VIEWING pictures, onboard video would have you covered.... if you are into digital editing, you may want to spend the extra dollars for an expansion card.

AMD MOBO

Ethereal_Dragon,

That seems to be the consensus; however I cannot find a decent mobo with onboard that is socket 939 and can eventually supoport dual-core.

I am willing to go with a board that needs a video card. That way I have Svideo and Dvi.

My only concern is, ?? Will it mean more needed power, and heat created, and noiser from needed fans ??

If so, I will settle for onboard video mobo.

thanks

here are 54 Mobo's that are Socket 939 that SHOULD work with dual core AMD's.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...017168&Submit=ENE&Subcategory=22&Order=priceD

Yes, adding an expansion video card WILL add heat. The heat sink & fan combo on that card will reduce the heat though. There are some cards that you can remove the heat sink & fan and put a Larger FANLESS heatsink on it making it passivly cooled. I have never experiented with this though, so I can't suggest any card you can do this with.

AMD build

Thanks Ethereal_Dragon & nitestick for ur replies.

Yes I am very aware of the 54 mobos available. I suppose I need to go through the specs of each one to find the ones with onboard video!

So if I need not be concwerned with the heat of an expansion video card (if that is the way I go) then what about the noise?
Are some quieter than others?

And, would having a card help my processors speed since the card would have its own memory? Would it make my system any faster?

Thanks

I wouldn'e exactly say it'd help your CPU's speed. You'll noticed the difference between having a newer video good and an older video card when it comes to in games and video editing editing and so on, you're going to want to get a video card. I really wouldn't worry about getting a video card and having a heat issue. Now granited, I am running alot of funs and have a very well flowing case. But my case has two hard drives, one of which is a raptor, an OC'd proc and video card, and my system idles at 33 C.

When it comes to noise, if you had a good enough flowing case (which would involved some fans that would make a little noise), and you won't be OC'ing, or haveing the CPU under heavy load for a good amount of time, you could go passive cooling. That just means running a CPU heatsink without a fan, and have your northbridge have the same thing. Plus im sure you can even get a passive cooler heatsink for a video card, although they dont give off much noise, its not silent.

Oh and if you ran a video game, and had on board video, it uses your systems memory, so it isn't nearly as good as owning an actual video card. So I guess if you wre to ask " would I benefit more from having a video card instead of on-board video for games", then yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom