Partion Magic killed me

Status
Not open for further replies.

real_in

In Runtime
good day to al.. surely it isnt my day

i lost my 4years of data, with my gf's pictures too ..

actually i had winxp and and in that i partitioned a drive where i kept all my data and useful files, now that i installed partion magic 8.1 and i tried to parition the free space, as i wanted to install fedora core4 along with XP.

but i guess when parition magic was doing some stuff, my PC got restarted automatically and then it never booted, well then i installed Fedora, was unable to boot with it, then decided to come back to XP and this where i m..

then i opened my backup drive and the folder were there, but what holy **** it was.. that i had the folder names in the root of drive but all the sublfolder's name were weird characters,... i have pasted a screenshot and now when i try opening the folder it gives an error..

i believe that lame partiion magic has archived my data..

cause the volumelabel,size of disk, and the free size is the same.. guyz can u help me.. please..

regards
Realin

Attachments

• corrupted2.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 36
Well it definatley is a partition Magic error. I dont know if there is a way to recover this or not.

You can try and use some recovery apps to get back the files as if you system had them deleted. Dont know how effective it will be.

But overall using partition magic instead of actual partitions isnt good. It is only a application that runs from within windows. So Fedora wouldnt recognize it.

Makaveli213 said:
But overall using partition magic instead of actual partitions isnt good. It is only a application that runs from within windows. So Fedora wouldnt recognize it.

Partition Magic is a program to modify and/or create "actual" partitions.

real_in: See if you can perform a rollback in PM, or check the partition for errors on PM.

The partitions that PM makes are not recognized by your BIOS or anything other than Windows.

That is what i meant. Not all partitions that PM makes are made as if you used FDisk or the Windows installer to create them.

At least everytime i have ever used PM. Unless they changed it majorly since version 7. I did try version 8 once. But went with FDisk and other means to make my partitions.

You can create any kind of partition with Partition Magic, and it works the same in v5, 6, 7 or 8. you can create partitions for Linux (ReiserFS, Ext3, etc) or partitions for Windows (FAT32, NTFS). So they are recognized by any compatible OS.

That just seems odd. When i did a partition with PM then went to format my windows it didnt show the partition.

That was the only reason why i stated this. I have had more issues with PM than without. That is why i try not to suggest using PM whenever possible.

I haven't come across anything better than PM.
I also had the above problem. Don't know how it happend, don't know how I fixed it. That's why you should always back up when partitioning.

Well thanks for clearing up some things for me on PM. I dont personally use it. But i also keep everything seperate on my PC.

Music, Movies, Docs, and GFX, all have their own drive. Also everything is backed up to my External.

But now i know PM isnt totally evil.:p I will make sure to find out from you folks about PM before i recommend it to someone though.;)

It doesn't matter which program you use, they can all screw things up. There's plenty of partition recovery tools on the internet. I never used them, but you can check those out if you can't fix it with PM.

Makaveli213 said:
The partitions that PM makes are not recognized by your BIOS or anything other than Windows.

That is what i meant. Not all partitions that PM makes are made as if you used FDisk or the Windows installer to create them.

At least everytime i have ever used PM. Unless they changed it majorly since version 7. I did try version 8 once. But went with FDisk and other means to make my partitions.

partition magic 7 didn't make real partition recognable by windows in dos(they were only recognize inside of windows), but they fix that by 8.

remember major, I asked you about that almost 2 years ago. you recmmended that I get PM 8 and that was never an issue again

real in. you could use pm boot disc to undo everything, but I don't know if it will work after you delelted the linux partition. try it though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom